You are here

PA Speakers???

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

PA Speakers???

Postby pianoworldstage » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:57 am

Just wondering if anyone could give advice regarding PA speakers? I play digital piano in the squars around the city, performing for small audiance's. At present I'm hooked up to the Roland KC110 amp.. but this provides only a one channel audio output.. as the Amp is positioned to one side.. which is damn! annoying when your not getting the volume output from both sides.. hence the reason for PA speakers.. to provide for both left and right outputs. The PA speakers need to be in compact size, as it's all mobile on the go..
Using a transport carrier walking from gig to gig. I've checked out two entry level PA systems, Laney and Kustom.. the budget is around £500 for the pair.. any suggestions.
pianoworldstage
New here

Re: PA Speakers???

Postby jagraphics » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:08 am

Some of the DJ's I know use powered speakers that have and amp and a pass through connection. You can daisy chain, and mix and match, as many of these as you like. to the left and right.

This sort of thing
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-350W-12-Active-PA-Speaker/SIW
jagraphics
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 am

pianoworldstage wrote:I play digital piano in the squars around the city, performing for small audiance's. At present I'm hooked up to the Roland KC110 amp.. but this provides only a one channel audio output.. as the Amp is positioned to one side.. which is damn! annoying

I quite like the look of the HK Lucas Nano 602 (or it's remote-mixing sibling, the 608).

It's very compact and easy to move about, and can be rigged either as a modest stereo PA, or as a mono PA with slightly greater reach. Mains powered, of course...

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/hk-audio-lucas-nano-608i
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby resistorman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:32 am

Did you want battery power? The only pair I know of in that price range would be these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... er-mpa40bt
There may be others, but I haven't heard them. I like the Bose S1, but 500 barely gets you one!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby pianoworldstage » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Thanks for all you comments and links everyone, It's been helpful.. however still not sure what PA system to go with for performing in the squares.. I'll be buying Yamahas stage pass 400i in the next few months, but that's specifically for indoor gigs.. just needing that light compact size PA set for outdoor work, still researching..
pianoworldstage
New here

Postby Janneman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Jbl eon one
Janneman
Poster
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Mihai_dmg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 am

Jbl eon 206p: 2 speakers system and mixer with 2 more speaker stands will be in your price range. It has 6.5" on lows and can go down around 80hz. For piano will be fine. Small , light and portable. The output maximum power is 80w per speakerb perfect for small audience and enough to get noticed.
Mihai_dmg
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:32 pm

The JBL Eon 206p is significantly less powerful than the Yamaha Stagepass 400i (to the tune of 12dB!!! which is a huge difference). Definitely not worth considering if you will already have the Yamaha. To improve on the Stagepass you'll need to consider 'proper' active PA speakers like Yamaha's DBR or DXR ranges but they come at a higher cost and are a fair bit heavier.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 am

What about another KC110?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby resistorman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:42 am

Wonks wrote:What about another KC110?
:bouncy:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby ef37a » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:49 am

resistorman wrote:
Wonks wrote:What about another KC110?
:bouncy:

Brilliant!
The KC110 has a line out and line in both at -10dBu (not a typo, sure it said "u" not "V"?) so I would guess another KC and a TRS cable. Job's a good'un?

Yes, deff' dBu and the cable needs to be 2 x 1/4" jacks to 3.5mm stereo jack or 2X 1/4" jack to jack.
Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster