You are here

Help please. How to mic drums on a venue with 5 inputs

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Help please. How to mic drums on a venue with 5 inputs

Postby dennisgamalej » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:20 pm

hey,
can you help me. How to mic drums with just 5 empty inputs on a live venue. Thank you for tips
dennisgamalej
Regular

Re: Help please. How to mic drums on a venue with 5 inputs

Postby AlecSp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm

It depends...

What size venue? How many people? What's the PA?

In some situations I'd not mic the drums at all. Others, I'd do just kick. Or kick & overhead. Or kick, snare, overhead. So many variables, including how loud the drummer is.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm

As Alec said, for small venues either nothing or just the kick. With our drummer, the next level up would be kick and snare (he does a lot of stuff with beaters which don't cut through as well as sticks). Next level after that would be kick, snare and a single overhead - but frankly if we're playing somewhere big enough to need that it's a venue where the PA is provided.
I can safely say I've only once played a venue big enough to need five drum tracks - and I was a solo act at the time. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Is that 5 inputs all for the drums? Or 5 inputs for everything - in which case what else needs to go through the PA?

If all 5 are drums, and the drum needs some reinforcement in the PA, then It's then a case of what mics do you have available for the drums?

I've often put some mics on the drums,' just in case', but often left the faders down, except for some slight boost for the kick. There can be the temptation to put the drums through regardless, which then means everything else needs to be louder as well, which can then be too loud for the venue/audience and the sound quality can suffer as the PA may then be struggling with the volume.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Agreed - small venues, nothing or kick and at most kick/snare. Bigger venue, you don't have only 5 inputs :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Dave B » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:11 pm

There are two schools of thought if you go between 'just kick and snare' and 'mic the full kit'.

1. Some people think that the metals carry just fine and so would mic the kick, snare and toms. You are still using the PA as re-inforcement of the basic kit sound - just giving it a bit more oomph.

2. The other thinking is that once the kick and snare get above a certain level / sound, stick up a pair of overheads to get the sound of the kit in general. I find that this brings a certain crispness to the overall sound but at the expense of the lovely boom of the toms. But as a lot of music is basically kick, snare, hats/ride, then this is an acceptable compromise imho.

Another approach might be kick, snare, then a single overhead, and using two mics for the toms - between the drums with either side of the capsule pointing at the heads to pick up the hit. This works if you have 4 toms. But I'd be very wary of that approach unless it was for quieter playing like jazz - it means lots of open mics and we try and keep these to a minimum.

HTH
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby dennisgamalej » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:48 pm

sorry ingorgotbto tell it. Sime venues outside some inside. For about 100 people. I just have 12 input in mixer the rest are guitars singers.
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:08 pm

It totally depends on the drummer and the style of music. A drummer that tickles the snare will be more likely to need a snare mic than a hard hitter. Some styles of rock place much more emphasis on the toms than other styles so the toms may be more important if you are playing that sort of music.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby dennisgamalej » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:14 pm

A lot of punk music rock and pop. But i want ro sound it nice. Maybe kick snare hh one mic for 2 toms and overhead for tom 3 and rest?
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 pm

I fear you may be over-complicating Dennis, just because the channels are there doesn't mean they need to be used - it can just make it more difficult to balance the rest of the sound stage.
If you're mic'ing the snare you're very unlikely to need a hi-hat mic as well as the snare mic will pick that up too.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:09 am

Kick, Snare, Toms.

Forget overheads. Pointless in a venue that small, as the cymbals will travel by themselves without any help. If you've got a heavy hitting drummer, then you could probably do without the snare.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby resistorman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:12 am

Not to mention bleed into singers mics, etc. I often just use a kick and 1 overhead on small stages and venues. Basically just enhancing, defining and crisping up the kit because it's coming through acoustically and on every other damn mic. The less mics you have involved, the less interactions you have to deal with.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Dr R » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:46 am

I would second Wonks' comment. Put on a kick, snare, overhead, but leave the faders down unless you actually need them on a particular song. A bit of kick may be a good default.
My regular gig is 180-250 people, there is a little bit of snare most of the time, and I ride the overheads when the drummer is using sheepskin balls on the cymbals or doing lots of jazzy tom fills that don't always carry.
Keep it simple and the vocals intelligible :-)
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Saxum esse et non provolvere » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:23 am

In general, I agree with the “minimal / no mikes at all for drums in small venues” approach. Recently, however, I’ve found myself being asked to rig drum mics simply so that members of the band using IEMs can hear them.
Saxum esse et non provolvere
Regular

Postby dennisgamalej » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:18 am

i will try kick snare 1mic for 2 toms one mic for tom 3 and one overhead for hh. I think the mics will pick up the sound for crash and ride
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby dennisgamalej » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:19 am

or i can set two overheads and buy an y adapter 2x female to 1x male
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 pm

dennisgamalej wrote:or i can set two overheads and buy an y adapter 2x female to 1x male

No - this is very unlikely to work. If you really need that many mics it would be much better to invest in a small mixer with at least 8 mic inputs which you can use as a sub-mixer for the drum mics.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:25 pm

This is getting out of hand... As most people have been suggesting, you just don't need five drum mics in a small gig... and trying to combine two mics passively with a Y-lead is asking for trouble, too.

For most modest sized gigs you really, really don't need anything more than kick, probably a snare mic for a bit of crisp clarity, and maybe a low overhead if there's a lot of relevant tom work. Kick, snare and two overheads at most. It would need to be a major venue before close miking the toms became worthwhile.

Remember, the kit -- especially the metalwork -- will be collected by your vocal mics, and your kit mics will collect the bass and guitars too... so the fewer mics you have open on the stage, the better!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound