You are here

Quiet vocalists, loud band

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Quiet vocalists, loud band

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:41 pm

This happens when you have people who are not musicians in the band... always a pita.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Yeah it's a challenge. With bass is more of a disaster. Not mentioning the fact that the drummer and the bass player sooner or later are gonna have a fistfight. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Jorge » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Dave B wrote:It's a good point Jorge. I could go one further and show them the mistakes in the multitracks (I record everything), but I'm not that cruel. I'm certain that they had a small 2 track recorder and some video, so they have that to critique...

It is not about cruelty. IF they are artists and care about how they sound to the audience there is no need to point out mistakes. They will listen to the recordings critically and can use them to tweak their sound and style so they themselves like their own music better. If they are so self-involved that they only care about how they feel when they are playing, there is not much you can do beyond aiming the guitar cabs and monitors at their faces and getting them as loud and as close as possible to their ears while limiting the spill out to the house. A word to the wise. Or not.

To facilitate their actually listening to the recordings, you could edit them, separating each song into a separate mp3 file, naming the files with the song names, and sending them out to the band using WeTransfer or some other cloudbased file transfer service.
Jorge
Regular

Postby Argiletonne » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 pm

A studio recording facility should have no problem dealing with this issue. If this is a live mix issue I'm still not aware of this type of problem in reality.
Argiletonne
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:11 am

Argiletonne wrote:A studio recording facility should have no problem dealing with this issue. If this is a live mix issue I'm still not aware of this type of problem in reality.

Handy hint. This is a post in the Live Sound & Performance forum.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Previous