You are here

singer wants to hear FOH on stage

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

singer wants to hear FOH on stage

Postby Jochemvdr78 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:57 am

Hi,

My singer in the band wants to hear what the sound of FOH sounds like on stage. Now I normally just have the various signals come through the monitors on stage so the band and the singer can hear them selves. I mix it so each artist can hear whatever they prefer to hear more or less of. I am pretty new to mixing sound for the band but I though that was the practice. Is it normal to have the FOH sound come through on stage? Its just that the monitors have no effects or EQ on them it is just the base sound. Any suggestions?

Small venues and open air gigs
Jochemvdr78

Re: singer wants to hear FOH on stage

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Jochemvdr78 wrote: Its just that the monitors have no effects or EQ on them it is just the base sound. Any suggestions?

This sounds like the real issue - many singers love reverb on their voice and often more reverb than you would use in the FOH mix. If you have enough effects processors and sends it might be worth setting up a dedicated monitor reverb that comes off another monitor send so that the reverb level doesn't change with the main fader level of that channel.

The best place to take a monitor feed is post eq but pre-fade - some mixers allow you to configure this.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:14 pm

I've found it fairly common for folk / acoustic acts to like a FOH mix onstage because that's what they're used to hearing. What kind of band / genre is it?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:17 pm

And what mixer have you got? If it's one with built-in reverb/FX, there's normally controls to adjust the amount of that effect that go to the aux channels for your monitors.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:00 pm

It may also be a case that the singer wants to have the confidence that they are hearing the same thing as the audience and that it sounds good. The problem with this is that the same mix won't sound the same though a wedge monitor as it does through front of house and also, in my experience, it is very difficult to judge a mix whilst performing.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Music Wolf wrote:It may also be a case that the singer wants to have the confidence that they are hearing the same thing as the audience and that it sounds good. The problem with this is that the same mix won't sound the same though a wedge monitor as it does through front of house and also, in my experience, it is very difficult to judge a mix whilst performing.

My drummer suffers from the same syndrome :-D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Jochemvdr78 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks for your suggestions so far, the mixer I use is a Yamaha MG16XU, it has four Auxiliary channels which I use for my monitors, I'll have a look to see if I can send effects through the monitors.
Jochemvdr78

Postby James Perrett » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:53 pm

From looking at a picture of the front panel it would appear that the output of the onboard effects can be sent to Aux1, 2 and 3 so you can have 3 different foldback mixes with effects.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jochemvdr78 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. I can now send effects to Aux 1,2 and 3. Your help is much appreciated.
Jochemvdr78