You are here

Backing tracks and video with Lyrics to singer on stage

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Backing tracks and video with Lyrics to singer on stage

Postby ozcaro » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi
We're setting up a cover show an plan to use some backing tracks for vocal harmonies etc.
The singer in the band has a really hard time with remembering the lyrics. I'm looking for solution like a karaoke thing where the lyrics show up on a display (connected to the computer) next to him on stage.
The drummer will start the backing track from a computer. And he will play to a click-track.
In Pro Tools there is support for video and so on. Maybe somebody out there has a good idea how to do it.
Thankful for suggestions
Best Regards
Oskar
ozcaro

Re: Backing tracks and video with Lyrics to singer on stage

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:05 pm

Free version of QLab will handle this easily for a stereo output, (if the computer's a Mac).

You'll need a license if you want more than 2 audio outputs, but you can rent this by the day & own it after 110 shows, which saves shelling out loads of ££ in one go.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:43 pm

If it’s just stereo audio (one channel backing, one channel click) there’s a number of iPad solutions. I use Stage Traxx. The drummer could start the track with a Bluetooth pedal, but the singer would need to cue the next song. This can be done automatically if you’re working to a pre-determined set list.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby donricejr@ymail.com » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Perhaps I misread your post, but I did not see how the suggestions put forth so far will solve your lyric issue unless you were to build a lyric video to play in Qlab. I've used Ableton and ProPresenter from Renewed Vision to accomplish your goal. You could use any audio playback software with midi capability. You use note numbers and velocity/intensity values to select playlist items (a song) and a particular slide (a set of lyrics). Unfortunately, this does require paying the $99 charge to add the midi module to the cost of the presentation program which costs $399. On the pro side, you can demo both for free to determine if you like this solution. You can also use the timeline feature within ProPresenter to handle both parts of the equation, but then you are limited to two channel playback and you must remember to rewind the timeline on each song if you, for some reason, only play through the track partially as during a quick soundcheck. You can actually go to the trouble to invoke true karaoke style with highlighted words in time, but you are looking at a tremendous time investment if the repertoire is sizable at all.
donricejr@ymail.com

Postby ozcaro » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Thank you for your replies so far!
Some of the songs are famous enough to have karaoke videos on youtube. I guess I could "borrow" the video there and add the backing track audio for the QLAB solution.
At the moment 2 channel playback is enough.
I will investigate which of the solution who suits me best. At least it's doable. Of course I don't want to spend too much time with the lyric sync. The best would of course be the karaoke thing where the text gets highlighted. But As you said it might get time consuming.
ozcaro

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Keep lyrics and tracks separate, I use "My Lyric Book" on an iPad and an AirTurn pedal to turn the pages. I mostly have one song to a page for 95% of the set so I only need to turn between songs but I have the Airturn as I play guitar at the same time and it looks neater. If he's like me he'll only need lyrics as a memory aid/security blanket once he's played the set a few times. That way he can be responsible for the bits he needs rather than you.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........