You are here

Heavy Duty USB3 cables?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Heavy Duty USB3 cables?

Postby Dave B » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 am

Grrr... had an issue with my mixer failing to record to my hard drive (Lacie Rugged) this weekend. The drive went AWOL apparently. So I either have a) a duff drive, b) a duff mixer or c) a duff usb3 lead. It's only short but it does get lightly coiled a few times and I think I'm on a second one already (vague memories of one of them going slightly squiffy a while back).

So, in case it's the cable, does anyone have any recommendations for good quality, heavy duty / armoured / able to take a pounding USB3 cables?

Or am I just being ham-fisted and should learn to take more care?

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Heavy Duty USB3 cables?

Postby ef37a » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:09 am

Dave, do you mean the USB 3.0 cable with the "A" plug and "modified B" tother end?

If so I have a 3mtr cable that is pretty rugged but fairly flexible. Black, OD about 6mm, roughly good quality mic cable stamp. On the cables is printed " AWM E889980-A STYLE 2725 80C 30V SUPER HIGH SPEED USB REVISION 3.0"

Only snag Dave, no idea where I got it! Could have been Maplin? I might have been desperate and prepared to pay well over the odds.

Note, no matter how rugged the cable the A&B connectors are never going to stand the abuse an XLR does. Mind you I have re-bent many a stomped stick or cable connector back into shape! Always worked so far. If you have the very thin USB 3.0 plug they look VERY flimsy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STARTECH-COM-B ... KYT7N3H9MX

^ looks about same as mine.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Good point, I'd not thought about the connector. They do keep changing them! So I think it's a USB3 A to USB3 micro-B. That seems to be the standard for external usb3 drives.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby ef37a » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Dave B wrote:Good point, I'd not thought about the connector. They do keep changing them! So I think it's a USB3 A to USB3 micro-B. That seems to be the standard for external usb3 drives.

Yeah! Blast them! I have one drive with the A and one with Micro-B. Now we have C and I have read that not all "things" will work from a C port on a PC?

Did we learn nothing from the "hot swapping SNAFU" of Fussy Wire?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster