You are here

Looking for advice on using iPad to trigger drum/bass parts live

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Looking for advice on using iPad to trigger drum/bass parts live

Postby forumuser816282 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi
One of my roles is playing solo acoustic guitar gigs. I would like to be able to use an iPad as a source of drum and bass parts that I can trigger using a midi foot pedal (such as the Tech 21 Midi Mouse) as backing.
Just very simple parts.
I did look at the Digitech Trio pedal but it is only mono out and there is no way to save more than 3 parts at a time.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Tim

PS This is my first time on the forum, if this would be better posted in a different section please tell me!
forumuser816282
New here

Re: Looking for advice on using iPad to trigger drum/bass parts live

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:09 pm

Could you expand a little on what you mean by 'trigger'?

The way that I have performed using an iPad in the past is as follows;

I record the backing (always drums, bass if not working with a live bass player, some guitars / keys depending upon the track) in Cubase. I have a count in / click panned hard left then all the other instruments mixed hard right. I transfer the stereo wav (which you can think of as two mono tracks locked together) to the iPad.

Playback - left channel goes to on stage monitors only, right channel goes to FOH & monitor. Vocals, guitar & sometimes bass are played live.

I play the backing tracks using an called SoundCue. In my case the iPad is sitting in a Mackie DL806 digital mixer (which is acting like an audio interface for the iPad) but you could just use the headphone socket with a suitable splitter lead.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser816282 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm

I would like to be able to press a footswitch to start a drum/bass part (e.g. verse) which stops when I release the pedal or press it again (like on a looper). Pressing a different switch starts a different part (e.g. chorus).
I am hoping to be able to use something like the already excellent drum patterns found in Garageband, or something similar, rather than program them from scratch.
forumuser816282
New here

Postby forumuser816282 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:29 pm

I would be open to something like the Digitech Trio (doesn't have to be iPad/MIDI based) but needs to be able to store at least 12 parts and not just be drum sounds.
Also doesn't have to be MIDI - I am aware of the likes of AirTurn pedal which uses bluetooth to control apps.
forumuser816282
New here