You are here

Zoom Livetrak L-12 headphone outputs

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Zoom Livetrak L-12 headphone outputs

Postby olibc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi,

I would like to know if someone tried to use active monitors on independent headphone outputs in the L-12.
Is this technically possible or recommended?
Do I need some DI (or something) between?

We are four members in a band. The main use of the L-12 would be for small rehearsal using active speakers for monitoring.

I am asking because the Livetrak L-20 has a button to switch headphone or line level for the independent headphone outputs.

Thanks a lot
olibc

Re: Zoom Livetrak L-12 headphone outputs

Postby molecular » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:45 pm

I have, and it worked fine. I was using it with active HK Dart wedges. I can't remember how the levels were placed, but it definitely worked.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby ore_terra » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 am

I missed this topic!

I've used them as well with monitors and they are usable like that.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby olibc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks for your answers.

I was told using active monitors in headphones output could produce a loss of quality or even distortion. So I wanted to know if people in "real" environment has notice some problems with the sound quality coming from active monitors or some other issues.
olibc

Postby olibc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:20 am

Hi,

I recently bought Zoom L-12. It is great and headphone outputs work ok with headphones. But I get very low volumes when connecting to an active monitor. I am using a jack (stereo) to XLR (male) cable as I usually did with my old mixer. If I level up volume almost to the max (of headphone output) it distorts and the volule of active monitor is still low.

What kind of cables are you using to make it work? Are you using a DI (or something similar)?

Thanks
olibc

Postby ore_terra » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:19 pm

I used to use jack cables to active speakers without issues.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm

A TRS headphone output is two separate unbalanced feeds, the XLR input to your powered speaker is expecting a single balanced signal. The TRS output from your old mixer will probably have been a single balanced output which is why it worked. They are not interchangeable and what you need to use your headphone output is a TRS to two TS jacks (and use two inputs on the powered monitor if it has them, TRS to 2 x RCA/phono jacks is another alternative or even TRS to mini TRS if the speaker has an iPod input) or a special stereo to mono summing lead with a TRS on one end and an XLR wired for unbalanced signal on the other.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........