You are here

Loudspeaker question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Loudspeaker question

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:27 pm

:D :D :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:43 pm

blinddrew wrote:I'd still be nervous about running a set of 300W PA speakers from a 100W per channel AV amp. Even the reputable brands tend to be a bit ambitious about their quoted power figures and distortion can start creeping in quite low down the dial.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid... :?

It Nsea can tell us the approximate dimensions of the space that we're dealing with that would help a bit.

Yes, dimensions WOULD help! But then, all that glass? Not a lot of absorption going on!

Those RCFs are capable of 127dB SPL at a mtr. I cannot see that establishment needing or even allowing that sort of level? The 300W is a maximum and they are 97dB speakers. That is hotter than some guitar speakers and we all know how little power you need to upset 'er indoors with one of those. Had this been a theatre I would of course tell OP to get a QSC or similar.

But to be honest it is the control of the whole shebang that causes me to suggest an AV amp. as to "massaged power figures"? Well ok, it does go on and I really don't think that amp can deliver 120W from all 6 channels at once! But it doesn't need to. OP is not at the moment talking about a sub or centre speaker (latter is a bloody good idea tho'but) never mind surround rear rigs. That amp can therefore easily put out 2x 100W+ into the RCFs and that's 117dBSPL!

And! Those dinky little 30 watt jobs are only JUST not powerful enough!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Good shout on all points Dave.
Just label me nervous...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby nsea » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for all of your kind info so far (some of it goes very technical!)

The ground floor area in front of the projected image is approx 10 x 10 meters from the wall the projected image is on to the top of the tiered seating/glass barrier (though bear in mind that its not a closed room, either side fills out into a bigger space and high ceilings. Though really is only the area in front of the projected image I'm really wanted to be the 'viewing' area for movies)

Heres a better map layout: https://imgur.com/a/7dPwi5h
nsea
New here

Postby nsea » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:40 am

blinddrew wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
Wonks wrote:
(sorry for repeat post but forgot to quote you guys and don't know if it notifies you normally?)

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for all of your kind info so far (some of it goes very technical!)

The ground floor area in front of the projected image is approx 10 x 10 meters from the wall the projected image is on to the top of the tiered seating/glass barrier (though bear in mind that its not a closed room, either side fills out into a bigger space and high ceilings. Though really is only the area in front of the projected image I'm really wanted to be the 'viewing' area for movies)

Heres a better map layout: https://imgur.com/a/7dPwi5h
nsea
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:12 pm

nsea wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
Wonks wrote:
(sorry for repeat post but forgot to quote you guys and don't know if it notifies you normally?)

No worries nsea - yes, it's polite to use the quotes, but no-one gets notified as a result, so it's not strictly necessary.

The easiest way to do this is to click on the 'quote' button for each poster one at a time and then write a short reply complete with their quoted remark.

Some folk do take all the time and trouble to embed multiple quotes from different people within a single post, along with multiple answers but it can be a bit mind-boggling :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:47 pm

And I doubt anybody will be offended if you reply without referencing their username. It does make it easier to keep up though if you are not answering the immediately previous post.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:29 pm

But getting back to the case in point, that's quite a large area - especially without any side walls.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby nsea » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi guys

I don't know if this is any help but we use the same speakers with a Yamaha P2500S, would this or something similar (if so what?) work in what I'd like to aim for?

Thanks so much again to everyone
nsea
New here

Previous