You are here

compact high end speakers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: compact high end speakers

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:57 am

It is difficult to define 'High end" WRT to PA systems these days (other than by price ;) ) but some 'reputable' companies only do 'proper' pro kit (L-Acoustics, Nexo, DAS) others cover the whole range from pro down to budget (JBL, RCF,) and others budget to mid range (and I'd probably include Yamaha here though their DZR range is probably a match for any non line array rig out there). I don't know how frequently you gig but if it's most weekends, say 25 gigs a year or less it would probably be overkill to spend the cost of a small car on the rig when a pair of Yamaha DXRs would fulfil your needs. If you make your living doing 250-300 gigs a year then the expense is easier to justify.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:05 am

Dynacord are a German company, now owned by Bosch (who also own Electrovoice). They've made good, solid PA equipment in the past (like powered mixers), but haven't seen or heard any recent product from them.

D.A.S, I've not really been aware of.

QSC are probably a step up the ladder from Yamaha in sound quality, though you do pay more for similar products (i.e. speaker size and output power). It's a small step, but you'd probably notice it an in A/B comparison, though maybe not on their own. I don't know whether the new Yamaha DXZs now eclipse the QSCs.

But it's always better to have a system that's operating happily below its maximum output, rather than one you have to push hard all the time to get the volume you need.

It first comes down to your budget, then your ability to store, transport and rig the system, especially as you probably won't have a band to help with the set-up and maybe no-one to mix, even if only during the initial set-up. You will need a monitor, and three tops plus two subs, plus stands, leads and a small mixer is a lot to transport and move round if you are on your own. You'll also need a decent lighting rig if you want to look professional, which is more equipment that needs transporting and setting up, not to mention the post-gig breaking down when you're tired after the performance.

Do you plan to have any assistance, or is it entirely a one-man show?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 am

One man show, thats why size of the item is important, lights and black backdrop.

Someone said get this, i dont know if that is anything in the same league

rcf evox 8
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:51 am

I haven't heard them. They are light and compact but not as loud as a DXR10 and twice the price. Consider two (or three) DXR8s and a 12" sub (I'd suggest the DXS12 but it's a sturdy beast despite only having a 12" driver but has a huge max SPL of 134dB which means you'd only need one) or QSC K8/2 and a single K-Sub https://www.thomann.de/gb/qsc_k_8.2_band_bundle.htm

FWIW the Dynachord's I've seen recently have been re-badged low end EVs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:24 pm

The DB Technologies ES1203 is surprisingly good (and loud) for the money if you're looking for a compact "column" type system.

The built in mixer may well be enough for what you're doing too. You could start with one system & add a second very easily if your gigs get bigger in the future.

Relatively easy to find in shops & have a listen to as well.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:00 pm

There comes a point when you just have to get out to a shop and start trying the systems out. Get an idea of how loud they go, how heavy and how bulky they are. Bear in mind what transport you have. There's a limit to how much you can get in a small hatchback or saloon.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Its not so much loud im looking for but room filling quality if you understand what i mean
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Its not so much loud im looking for but room filling quality if you understand what i mean
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Wonks wrote:.......
There's a limit to how much you can get in a small hatchback or saloon.

Golf Diesel hatchback :- 2 x QSC K12, 3 x Yamaha DXR10, 1 x EV sBa750 sub, Mackie DL1608, Mic box, stands and a few lights. Still room for a couple of guitars and a combo or WHY and a passenger :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 pm

But there is still a limit! I did say 'small' and I'd also say that a Golf is very much a medium-sized car these days in terms of interior capacity.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:51 pm

T'is a fair cop guv :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous