You are here

compact high end speakers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

compact high end speakers

Postby gsc1ugs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Im solo artist going the tribute, need good quality set of speakers but not too big, why are NEXO ps10 so expensive and with controller are they any good? anything better that would suit my setup?
gsc1ugs
Poster

Re: compact high end speakers

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 pm

A local venue (the Railway in Winchester) have a Nexo system which always sounds great from a knowledgeable punters point of view. I haven't had a chance to use it as an engineer though.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 pm

A bit more detail on your set-up and material would help, also likely venue / audience size.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby gsc1ugs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Up to 200 people,,,, backing music vocal madness tribute solo suggs. Anything else pls let me know, i can get second hand pair of nexo ps10 and controller for £700 just pondering what is best option
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 pm

That's a pretty good price for PS10s & controller - check it's all in good working order & go for it!

Saw a pair of used KV2 ES10s recently which would be a step up from Nexo IMO, but they were twice that price.

Whatever you get, you may also need a sub or two if you've got 200 people skanking away....
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Ask less about why the speakers are so expensive (probably because they're made in France and not assembled in China like so many other PA speakers) but ask if they provide good value for money in terms of sound quality and output. Would you need subs as well, or just the tops?

Personally I'd be looking at something a bit less expensive but of a comparable sound quality. Yamaha have a new flagship active PA speaker range just coming out, the DZR range, which would be worth trying. The DZR10 10" speakers are a lot louder than the Nexos (if you want them to be) and go a little bit lower as well. £915 per speaker seems to be the going shop price at the moment, so a considerable saving (even adding on covers and stands at say £2k complete) from a NEXO PR10 R2 system (no subs) at around £5k and 10k with two subs.

You'd have to hear it to say whether you like what it does, but Yamaha's DXR range (almost half the price of the DXZ speakers) were designed for them by Nexo and they sounded very good for the money (and very good in general).

Each speaker is going to weigh more than a passive Nexo speaker because of the built-in amplifier, but there's no need for the controller and amp rack as a result, making a more compact transport package.

Now Just seen your last post. You'd need to factor in a decent power amp if the package only comes with the controller (I believe there is a Nexo combined controller and amp available), with 500W per channel output into 8 ohms. There is no point skimping on the amplifier.

I'd consider the DXR10s, which you could get for around £1k, especially as you will need to budget one or two subs for that sort of act to carry the drums and bass. There's no live band, so no bass amp or kick drum to help fill out the bottom end without a sub. You might get by without a sub, but you'll sound a lot more convincing with one. You've just got to go that one step beyond...
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:32 pm

I'd endorse the DXR10s and a decent sub. You'll need a monitor too and a additional DXR10 provides some redundancy in case of a (very unlikely) failure. In a worst case scenario it would be possible to complete a gig with a single DXR10, a mic and the tracks on a phone.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gsc1ugs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:36 pm

wow!! thanks for info, I know the nexo can handle 1000 a side but budget is in question here, my existing mixer amp by soundcraft what would happen if i under powered the speakers to 150watt a side just until i save for a better amp?
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: In a worst case scenario it would be possible to complete a gig with a single DXR10, a mic and the tracks on a phone.

If it was a Smokey Robinson tribute act you'd also need the track of my tears.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:28 pm

That'd only work if your phone was waterproof though.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gsc1ugs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I'd endorse the DXR10s and a decent sub. You'll need a monitor too and a additional DXR10 provides some redundancy in case of a (very unlikely) failure. In a worst case scenario it would be possible to complete a gig with a single DXR10, a mic and the tracks on a phone.

What sub would be a good partner?
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:wow!! thanks for info, I know the nexo can handle 1000 a side but budget is in question here, my existing mixer amp by soundcraft what would happen if i under powered the speakers to 150watt a side just until i save for a better amp?

If you used your ears and avoided distortion creeping in you'd be fine but, somewhat counter-intuitively, you are more likely to destroy the tweeters with an underpowered amp than one with power to spare so you would need to exercise considerable care.

Obviously the matching Nexo sub would be ideal but any decent sub would work. I'd go for a 15" powered sub capable of outputting at least 128dBSPL

Does the controller have a dedicated sub output?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:37 pm

One or two of the Yamaha DXS subs. I'm happy with the DXS12, while Sam opts for the DXS15.

It all depends on how compact a system you want.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Not heard the DXS but I did buy an EV AX1A 12" powered sub as, on paper, it looked almost a match for my venerable EV sBa750 15" sub. I used it twice and sold it (at a loss......) as it was weak and very one dimensional in comparison to the old brute. YMMV.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Dave B and I both think the DSX12 is fine. Dave was under the impression it had an 18" speaker in it for some time (don't ask me why)! I had two Studiospares Fortissimo 15" subs for a while and they were pretty one dimensional, but the DSX12 is just like an extension of the tops.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:30 pm

I may give one a listen sometime. The EV was very 'one note' but, more importantly, didn't go high enough to work with my little TC VoiceSolo speakers (a big ask I realise but it would have been a useful little rig).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:20 am

the yamaha dxr10 looks very similar, are they similar to nexo ps10 or when driven correctly?
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:11 am

DXR10 has a similar spec to the Nexo apart. obviously, from being powered. If you ended up buying new you'll struggle to better the Yamahas for similar money, they really are very good indeed. But, at 5x the price, a Nexo rig really ought to be better.

Sound wise, I haven't heard them side by side which would be the best (only?) way to evaluate them. FWIW the only Nexo rig I've heard (knowingly at least) was fantastic, very loud and incredibly clean. But it was much bigger than your suggested rig (coincidentally the band was an Madness tribute).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:18 am

The only Nexo rig I've heard probably had the 8" speakers and two lots of subs on each side/ It sounded good, but was being pushed hard to get the volume and was distorting by the end as the soundguy was pushing the volume up as the gig progressed. I did think that the DXRs (plus subs) would have given just a good, if not better, account of themselves.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks for the info, so as top five go, nexo and dxr's are up there, i have ready other systems like dynacord and D.A.S but never heard them
gsc1ugs
Poster

Next