You are here

Is this a simple question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Is this a simple question

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:53 am

Had some advice but need a simple answer

Which have the better sound
Yamaha Dxr12
Or
Nexo ps10
Thanks
gsc1ugs
Poster

Re: Is this a simple question

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:49 am

Impossible to say without hearing them side by side which I haven't. Is there any way you can do that? If not you need to get the used Nexo rig set up, play some well recorded CDs through then take the same CD's to the shop selling the DXRs and listen to them. Last option, assuming the Nexos are local and you can buy the DXRs mail order, set both up together and listen then return the DXRs if the fail the test.

All that said I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Yamahas.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:53 am

Thxs for info, trying to keep compact but dont want to compromise, this is my short list

nexo (but needs an amp, more money)

dxr's

Ive heard of db technologies but never heard them, also D.A.S and DAP, again, never heard, i also believe dynacord are well made but is'nt a speaker all made the same?, magnet and coil?
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:58 am

No definitely not :D

More info please :-

Where do you live?

Where are the used Nexos?

Where do you plan to buy the Yamahas from?

Can you get to hear them both (side by side or in different rooms)?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 am

No i cant get to hear, buying second hand online so i;ve no idea :headbang:
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:07 pm

From a reputable dealer or a private sale? If a private sale will you be able to return them if they prove faulty (always a risk in these circumstances)?

As attractive as the Nexos look I think I'd feel safer buying new from a dealer so DXR10's might be the pragmatic choice.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:17 pm

But spending a fair bit of money on speakers you've never heard or picked up to feel their weight, whilst expecting to then go out and use them to earn income from a being a solo tribute act seems strange to me.

As Sam previously asked, whereabouts do you live? How far do you have to travel to get to somewhere you know might stock PAs you can hear?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:05 pm

Im trying to understand why pay £1400 a speaker than £600 is it hype or you only get what you pay, is it that simple or is it creed aventus marketing
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:15 pm

Almost invariably you get what you pay for, the DXR10 (£550) is a lot better than an Alto TS210 (£250), it's louder, better built, sounds better when pushed and carries a much longer guarantee. It would help if you answered the questions people ask though if you want help making a decision.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Private sales, just heard nexo ps10 ‘s but more baggage AN AMP.. whicb i would assume is very important
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Yes, it helps quite a bit if you want to be heard.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:22 pm

I assume you aren't buying the Yamahas privately as you say you are looking at new ones?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Not really getting the tech answer i need but thanks for all the help. I do know a speaker works with a magnet and signal my question was which is it the speaker or cabinet its in or is there a magical bit inside that some have some dont what makes some travel sound around a room rather than those that just bloom out noise
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:35 pm

You are making this quite difficult but I did answer this question earlier in this thread. The answer is that it is the whole, i.e. the design of the driver, the design of the cabinet, the power amp, that makes the difference, and they are all different. Generally you get what you pay for but you absolutely must listen to them yourself, only you can know what sound you want to hear.

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 am

Designing a good sounding PA speaker is a very detailed technical exercise, and is a mixture of science and experience.

Anyone can buy a main and HF driver, add in a passive crossover, stick them all in a box and call it a PA speaker, and that's just what a lot of people have done in the past with very cheap speakers. Very few of them sounded very good, and most couldn't handle more than 150W-250W and the main driver wasn't very efficient so SPLs were low.

These days, the manufacturers are trying to get the best sound and most power out of a small enclosure, whilst making the speaker to a given price point. This means using drivers that can handle 600W or more, which means huge ferrite magnets or smaller lighter (but more expensive) neodymium ones. It means fitting a lot of electronic processing into a small enclosure, where the processing replaces the old passive crossovers, and where the processing compensates for phase issues at the crossover point and is used to give a flat a response as the speaker is capable of. It means using the processing to provide high pass filters for subs and low pass filtering for tops. It means adjusting the design of the enclosure to minimise internal standing waves and control the spread of sound into the room. It means fitting in a couple of class-D amps, one of which can produce 1000W RMS or more, and maybe 2000W peak power. It means doing all this whilst trying to minimise weight.

And all in a small enclosure that 20 years ago would have housed a 150W passive system and competes with a load of large separate PA enclosures and a rack of very heavy power amps that would have required a van to have transported round 30 years ago whilst sounding better than those big rigs did.

It's amazing the power and quality you can now buy for so little money, and you really need some perspective on the past and where these systems have come from as to what you can now get for your money.

These systems are improving all the time. The NEXO PR10 system you've mentioned isn't as good as the current NEXO PR10 R2 system. It's 3dB down on maximum SPL and I'm sure the latest model sounds a bit better. Its a passive speaker with an internal passive crossover, so the external controller is processing the signal that goes to the power amp so that what happens in the DSP of an active speaker is done to the signal before it hits the power amp in terms of EQ and phase adjustment to counter what the passive crossover is doing to the phase at the crossover point. The external controller will be set up to process a wide range of Nexo speakers, but I suspect that if you bought the Nexo system offered, then upgraded to the R3 version speakers in the future (if Nexo bring out an R3 version) then you'd also need to swap to the latest Nexo controller, as the speakers would have very different characteristics.

You also need to think about replacements when buying used equipment from discontinued ranges. If a speaker fails, then if you can't get it repaired, then you won't be able to buy another one within a few days. You might be able to find a single matching speaker on eBay, but very unlikely that one will turn up before your next gig.

There is no simple 'technical answer' to your questions. Sound quality is always subjective and what sounds nice and clean to one person can sound cold and hard to another person.

There is nothing like getting out and hearing the systems for yourself. You need to be convinced that the rig you buy will sound good when you perform with it, so that you can be confident on stage.

And you haven't yet asked about which microphone is best...
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:47 am

Thxs Wonks i guess that sums it up, thanks
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:Not really getting the tech answer i need but thanks for all the help. I do know a speaker works with a magnet and signal my question was which is it the speaker or cabinet its in or is there a magical bit inside that some have some dont what makes some travel sound around a room rather than those that just bloom out noise

There is a magical bit, it's called technical design.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page