You are here

Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:25 pm

There are schematics for phantom power blockers available on the web, they seem to comprise a couple of caps and a couple of resistors. Should be simple to build these into the TS jack sockets in the stage box if you decide to build one?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Should be simple to build these into the TS jack sockets in the stage box if you decide to build one?

... but a complete b****r to put inside an XLR! Been there, burned my fingers :thumbdown:
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:32 pm

:clap: :bouncy: Yup, but in a stage box? Easy peasy. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Sam Spoons wrote::clap: :bouncy: Yup, but in a stage box? Easy peasy. :thumbup:

If it's that easy, then you can knock one up in a hour or so for The Elf then. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm sure Jon Godsland at Orchid would...... I suddenly find myself with and uncontrollable urge to run away.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:03 am

I've had my X32 rack version pretty much from the day of release. It's without a doubt the best piece of behringer kit I've ever encountered, and has coped with anything and everything I've thrown at it. I've used far more expensive mixers that have broken more often. I've not managed to overload the inputs on it as yet, and have plugged loads of different things in with Jack-XLR cables - Synths, acoustic guitars, drum modules etc. Only managed to blow one drum module up when I was careless with the phantom, so that warning is a good one!

One thing to be really careful of are the XLR locks/clips on the mic inputs. They have a bad habit of breaking, and a LOT of people have taken the desks apart and just removed the locks. I have removed then on mine, and it's a fairly simple procedure with a little help from YouTube.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Ramirez » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi Elf,

I'm not 100% on what you're wanting to achieve, but I've had a quick play on the UI24R anyway. I set up the Soundcraft as an audio interface, and played back a stereo virtual instrument from Bitwig through channels 1 and 2 on the desk, and plugged a microphone into channel 5. I then set the UI24R's internal multitrack recorder to record channels 1, 2 and 5, and it recorded and played the virtual instrument and live source as expected., which is what I think you're asking for?

However, the DAW playback was glitching when changing between Bitwig and the UI24R control page (on Google Chrome browser). This may or may not be a case of finding which browser best runs the UI24 software, or finding the optimum buffer settings. I'm using an i5/8GB Surface Pro 4, and the glitching was present at the 'standard' and 'relaxed' buffer settings (6ms/12ms I think). I haven't the time to go deeper I'm afraid - this could well be a very minor, easily fixed issue, or could be a deal breaker.

Other advantages of the UI24R for you may be:

*First 10 inputs are on XLR/jack combi sockets.

*If you don't trust to connect the laptops to it wirelessly for control, I'm pretty certain you could hardwire them via ethernet. That's what I do with the Surface for a hard-wired connection at the monitor desk position at gigs, then using a cheap Samsung Galaxy tablet at front of house, as it were.
There is no app to install - you point your browser to the UI24R. All your laptops could control their own mix, and only need to switch between DAW and browser to do so. However, the above mentioned glitching could be a complete deal breaker here.

Other downsides of the UI24R is that its 48kHz only.

If you want me to to do further testing on anything specific, let me know. First baby is due any minute though, so I can't promise anything!

**UPDATE**
I tried disabling some plugins in the DAW and the problems disappeared, so it does seem dependent on CPU load. AFAIK that could well be nothing to to with the UI24R itself (or equally, it could, I suppose!) The Surface Pro 4 isn't as solid as it used to be with audio at the moment, so the UI24R could very well be more stable on your system. I can't test on another system at the moment I'm afraid.

***FUTHER UPDATE***
I've just attempted the same playback with another interface (Avid Fast Track Duo, which is nothing spectacular in terms of performance), whilst jumping between DAW and browser as before. Things are much more stable with the Avid, and the buffer settings are also lower I think. I guess this points at unstable drivers for the Souncraft. So, in conclusion - and with the caveat that it may well behave differently on another computer - whilst the UI24R does what you want it it to in theory, I can't recommend it.

I'll flag this up ond the FB UI24R group, where one of the UI24R developers regularly contribute. If it's of interest I'll post any sensible replies here.

Hope that helps,
Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby The Elf » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks for checking up for me. It does look a very slick piece of kit and the price is good.

It does sound like it would be up to the task, so I took a closer look and offered it up for consideration. The lack of knobs and faders will, I fear, be it's downfall for us.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ramirez » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 pm

The Elf wrote:Thanks for checking up for me. It does look a very slick piece of kit and the price is good.

It does sound like it would be up to the task, so I took a closer look and offered it up for consideration. The lack of knobs and faders will, I fear, be it's downfall for us.

No problem.
In case you missed it, I've edited my post with a couple of fairly significant updates.

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster

Postby Ramirez » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:35 am

As a follow-up to the above, and in the interest of fairness to Soundcraft (particularly Danny Olesh who responded very quickly to my concerns)

I tried the UI on a different USB port and it seems to have sorted the problem out.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:19 am

Is it really only 48kHz recording though? This has been on my 'potentials' list but that would scupper things.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ramirez » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:17 pm

blinddrew wrote:Is it really only 48kHz recording though? This has been on my 'potentials' list but that would scupper things.

It really is, and its bloody annoying.
In practise, its not too much much of a concern for me, but its the only interface I've ever come across that's fixed at 48kHz. I don't like that one piece of equipment forces me to work at one particular sample rate, as I very often move projects between different studios, locations and interfaces.
I use Reaper and it transparently deals with any sample rate conversion needed, and I don't notice any loss of quality for it, but its still an unnecessary processing stage that the UI forces on you.

From what I understand most digital mixers operate internally at 48kHz, which goes some way towards explaining why 48 and not 44.1 (as the UI doesn't have any features that seem to gear it towards sound-for-video).

It should be a fairly simple fimware/driver upgrade, I presume, but that doesn't mean they'll do it. All the competing products seem to offer at least 44.1kHz as well - which is what I want - and I guess the lack of 88.2 / 96 kHz option may well put other users off.

Don't get me wrong, its a great piece of kit, and it does do a whole lot for a great price. There are just a couple of oversights (and they don't seem cost-related either) that could be a simple software fix.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Hmmm. And indeed, harumph.
Oh well, I'm in no rush, other options may arise twixt now and my looking to upgrade.
Thanks for the confirmation.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Fixed 48kHz is a silly restriction, and you really have to wonder what designers are thinking of when they build that kind of limitation in. :roll:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm

You can't go far wrong with an X32 of some flavour Elf ;) Buy an SD8/16 and your stage box needs are sorted too.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:19 am

Ramirez wrote:From what I understand most digital mixers operate internally at 48kHz...

That would be news to me! ;)

It should be a fairly simple fimware/driver upgrade, I presume...

Nope. The sample rate for the converters is normally derived from a physical crystal in the hardware unit. Given the very complex mathematical relationship between 44.1 and 48k, products that are required to switch between the different rates normally have two crystals, one for all the rates related to 44.1, and the other for all the rates related to 48, plus all the associated circuitry to buffer, divide, and switch between these two clock sources.

So unless that circuitry and the dual crystals were built into the Ui24 hardware it's extremely unlikely that any firmware/software update will add the versatility you seek!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ramirez » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Ramirez wrote:From what I understand most digital mixers operate internally at 48kHz...

That would be news to me! ;)

It should be a fairly simple fimware/driver upgrade, I presume...

Nope. The sample rate for the converters is normally derived from a physical crystal in the hardware unit. Given the very complex mathematical relationship between 44.1 and 48k, products that are required to switch between the different rates normally have two crystals, one for all the rates related to 44.1, and the other for all the rates related to 48, plus all the associated circuitry to buffer, divide, and switch between these two clock sources.

So unless that circuitry and the dual crystals were built into the Ui24 hardware it's extremely unlikely that any firmware/software update will add the versatility you seek!

H

Ah! Thank you Hugh. In that case I'll stop worrying about it. Is 48kHz-only equipment more common than I've thought? It always struck me as a strange design choice on the UI24R. I've always assumed that, since even the very cheapest AIs seem to offer both 44.1 and 48 that it was a trivial matter, but now I see that functionality needs to be designed into the hardware, as you point out.

I don't know why I thought that most mixer operate at 48kHz - perhaps its something I read about the X32/M32 series. My apologies for spreading lies!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:07 pm

Ramirez wrote:Is 48kHz-only equipment more common than I've thought?

Equipment designed specifically for the broadcast industry may well operate with a fixed 48kHz sample rate (because of the need to be synchronous with video frame rates), but most manufacturers design their products for sale in the widest possible range of markets, and hence tend to build in options for different sample rates.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby plodsmeade » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:55 am

Dave Rowles wrote:I've not managed to overload the inputs on it as yet

you're obviously not trying hard enough
plodsmeade
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 am

plodsmeade wrote:
Dave Rowles wrote:I've not managed to overload the inputs on it as yet

you're obviously not trying hard enough

:lol: ... But as I said earlier,
Hugh Robjohns wrote:The mic preamps clip with an input signal at +23dBu...
so you real would have to do something extremely stupid to overload the inputs on the X32.

H
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext