You are here

Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 am

so you real would have to do something extremely stupid to overload the inputs on the X32.

Hold my drink ...... :bouncy:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 am

X32 Compact system ordered (with X-Live card, digital stageboxes and personal monitor mixers), but it's going to take a couple of months at least before it arrives. I'll report back when I've had a chance to play.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:01 pm

If you’re using the digital stage box thingy then be careful about power and earth. Drop Max a quick line and he’ll explain it - if there’s a power drop below a certain threshold then the system can suffer dropouts. You may never trigger it, but it’s worth being forewarned...
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Dave B wrote:If you’re using the digital stage box thingy then be careful about power and earth. Drop Max a quick line and he’ll explain it - if there’s a power drop below a certain threshold then the system can suffer dropouts. You may never trigger it, but it’s worth being forewarned...
Ugh! I'll do as you say...

Thanks, mate. :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08 pm

I'd say it is unlikely you will suffer a brown out sufficient to cause problems in the UK (on mains power at least) but I stand to be corrected :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave B » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Er .. it happened about half a dozen times in one night last Saturday... a couple were big drops where the whole rig was down for a second or so and the rest were more 'glitch' dropouts. Apparently it's a known issue with the voltage dipping under 218v - so if you're not careful with power consumption it can happen. Max knows the full ins and outs and was even investigating the mains distribution to see if things like fridges and freezers are on a different circuit... in the (very) small hours I might add.

It's a daft thing that isn't the end of the world to fix - one good UPS and some heavy duty power extension cable and it's gone. But it's daft that it even happens in the first place.
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 pm

I stand corrected :blush:

TBF I usually use a UPS these days, not to protect against brown outs (though it will do that too) but against the 'Yoof' DJ next door unplugging my rig to charge his phone (and yes, that has actually happened).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Scary. No way am I taking a UPS out with me. The whole point is to REDUCE the number/weight of boxes!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:38 am

it is my considered view that anyone using a digital desk and digisnake , and not using an UPS to run the pair of them, and adhering strictly to the published specification of connection between stage box and console , is asking for all the trouble they WILL undoubtedly encounter, most notably in some of the dingier , or less robust live venues or festivals....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:44 am

I just can't be taking so much kit out with me - it's getting crazy as it is!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:27 am

You know that the day is finally coming - embrace it and be happy......

You're going to need a car with a boot.

And possibly backseat as well.

There - I've said it. Deep breath and then move forward.

:bouncy: :headbang:
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:40 am

:lol:

The last gig in Holland we hired a transit and the poor thing was groaning! If I mention taking any more kit I may well be found floating in the North Sea!

We also had 25 minutes to set the rig up and our soundcheck consisted of 'can we hear anything?!' - and that was a headline! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 am

If you're looking at one of the rack-mounted versions of the X32, it's easy enough to stick a rack-mounting UPS into the rack as well. It will set you back another few hundred squids and add some weight to the rack, but it would be well worth it for the reliability and security it brings to the whole system.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:If you're looking at one of the rack-mounted versions of the X32, it's easy enough to stick a rack-mounting UPS into the rack as well...
I'm opting for the Compact, so that's not really an option.

All points noted.

The other options I've considered are no more attractive for many other reasons. This is about mixing and recording four keyboard players (plus audience and announcer mic's) and also providing me with an audio interface for my own rig. Reduction of boxes, cables and complexity is a priority.

The pair of L-12s did a great job, but the lack of moving faders scuppered one of the players, who couldn't grasp the concept of 'pass through' and the two sets of recordings need to be time-aligned after the event - possible, but not ideal.

I'll investigate the possibility of a compact UPS (this would need to power gear at all four corners of the stage), but I think it will prove logistically difficult and most likely met with resistance...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Doesn't John take out a Kronos? I'm surprised he doesn't have a small ups already .. or does he like to live on the edge..?
;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:33 pm

I have a three small UPS', pretty much identical the this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600VA-ULTRA-MAX-UPS-Uninterruptible-Power-Supply-600SC-360W/262954863164?epid=2256195811&hash=item3d3954ca3c:g:DogAAOSw7U5ZAPeA But I found this one for half the price if you can cope with IEC outlets on it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-UPS-Power-Supply-Unit/dp/B004YIT5ZU/ref=lp_430442031_1_25?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1542716537&sr=1-25
Mine have proved reliable for two years so far, I have one at FOH and another on stage and the third is on 24/7 from mid March 'till November, protecting my caravan TV and recorder from the dodgy mains on site.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Dave B wrote:Doesn't John take out a Kronos? I'm surprised he doesn't have a small ups already .. or does he like to live on the edge..?
;)
:lol: The Kronos doesn't leave the studio - but if it did *I* would insist on a UPS!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:09 pm

I'll use a UPS on small / under speced generators to protect the desk, and on the rare occasions when recording is really important.

To be honest, I think I've had more problems with older analogue stuff not liking the mains power than digital.

There was one festival where bits of analogue outboard kept distorting, or turning off, as it got dark & lots more site lighting go switched on. Voltage was going below 200V at times. By the end we'd given up on all gates, comps, & graphics in the rack, and only one effects unit was working.

The Qu-Pac/AR stage box on a small stage, which was powered from the same distro, kept working just fine without any UPS.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Mark, it's less to do with 'digital', more to do with the manufacturer skimping on the design. As I understand it, the Midas equivalent doesn't seem to have the same sort of issues. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions..

I suspect that in a lot of cases, people would prefer to buy A+H but finances prevent this. At the moment, the X32 range is _very_ attractively priced. I guess that factors into the equation - that kind of bullet-proof-ness may cost a little more than some want to pay.
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:But I found this one for half the price if you can cope with IEC outlets on it...
This one may get a positive reception. Thanks for the pointer.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext