You are here

Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Fare enough Dave.

I see quite a lot of X32 + box in one combination or another, getting run without a UPS & I'd not really head any reports of problems to make me think it a serious issue, but maybe it is. UK mains is usually very stable!
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Tolerance of mains voltage variation is generally much worse on devices with linear power supplies than those with switching mode supplies. The latter are often able to cope with any mains supply from 100-250VAC, whereas a linear supply set for 230VAC may well drop out below 207 if not higher!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Good point Hugh, the X32 PSU can accept 100-240 VAC so brownouts sufficient to cause problems in Europe should simply never happen short of a full on power cut.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Dave B wrote:Mark, it's less to do with 'digital', more to do with the manufacturer skimping on the design. As I understand it, the Midas equivalent doesn't seem to have the same sort of issues. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.
Got to be honest. I didn't know that there *was* a Midas equivalent - never occurred to me. I'm happy to take a look if they're compatible with the X32?

Edit: No 8 channel version and no jack inputs. The idea was to avoid the phantom power problem.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:55 pm

FWIW (according to 'Musicgroup' of course) the only differences between the Midas and Berry X/M32s are the faders and mic preamps.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Good point Hugh, the X32 PSU can accept 100-240 VAC so brownouts sufficient to cause problems in Europe should simply never happen short of a full on power cut.

It isn't always that simple. Some of these power supplies detect the input voltage when first switched on and go into either 230V mode or 120V mode. As I understand it, they can't switch mode after that initial decision has been made so if the voltage later goes too low for the 230V mode you are in trouble.

It is also possible that different batches of the same model could react in different ways.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:59 am

Ah, didn't know that. Mackie refer to their DL 1608 PSU (which is a 'line rat') as a 'world PSU' and I had thought it, and the X32 supply, simply took whatever mains voltage and supplied whatever the device needed.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:36 am

Just had a quick look at the range of worldwide supply voltages and it appears that every country that I could find either lies in the range of 110-127V or 220-240V so a worldwide supply only has to cover those voltage ranges to be worthy of the name.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby AlecSp » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:41 am

Sam Spoons wrote:FWIW (according to 'Musicgroup' of course) the only differences between the Midas and Berry X/M32s are the faders and mic preamps.
Along with the build quality, the warranty, the layout and (for some) the rider-acceptability...
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:53 am

Build quality? Aren't they made in the same factory? Only quoting what Music Group said when they introduced the M32.

The layout is different TBF and that 10 year warrantee is very good (but only fair given the premium price relative to the X32) plus they run 192kHz but that's only firmware I believe.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Build quality? Aren't they made in the same factory? Only quoting what Music Group said when they introduced the M32.

I haven't looked into the internal differences in any detail, but they could be built in the same factory but use different quality parts -- especially for things like faders, encoders, displays etc.

...plus they run 192kHz but that's only firmware I believe.

Again, it might be firmware... but it could also be that the less expensive model uses lower cost converters and DSP chips that don't have the speed to operate at 192.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:37 pm

My understanding when the M32 was introduced was that the only hardware differences between the X32 and M32 we're the aforementioned mic preamps and motor faders. Clearly the casework is also different but other than that........ I have asked the question on the MG X32 forum.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:10 am

I work on M32 and X32 , My former studio now uses an M32 which doubles as live hire stock, and my semi regular venue has X32 ....

the software is identical in architecture, meaning you can successfully run X32 shows from M32 software on laptop, which is a bonus as it's lots nicer....

I would take the Midas over the X32 any day, of any week ever, it sounds better, it is faster to operate, and based on recent experience, more stable ,

as far as I am aware they share the core DSP architecture, but the converters are different, (thus the sample rate option differences) the pre-amps are different , and the physical layout and control surface feel are very different....

I can drive either, with equal competence....

but i'd rather have a Digico if I MUST have digital desk

other than that
give me an, Audient, or a Neve and I'm a happy man

not picky or anything.....

Santa are you reading this ??
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Dave B » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:45 am

I spoke to Santa. He says he will consider giving you an Audient or Neve when you no longer own any DDAs. And dumping them in a mate's garage and telling yourself that they don't exist doesn't count!!

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby DGL. » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:53 am

An M32 is an X32 with, PRO faders, PRO series mic pre-amps, better quality input/output stages (inc. AD/DA conversion), better screen (daylight viewable iirc, not higher res) and a nicer 'body'.

Still runs (with the current firmware) at a maximum of 48kHz.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:11 am

From the current Midas M32 Product Information Document:

"Open architecture allows for future 96 kHz operation".

"192 kHz ADC and DAC converters for outstanding audio performance".

Rather disingenuous of Music Group to advertise a sample rate that will never ever be achievable with the product, just because the converter chips are capable of being clocked at that speed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:54 am

TBF the only companies that don't 'big up' their products to the max with such claims are (probably, I'm guessing so maybe they do too) the 'big boys' like DigiCo, Avid and Audient et al.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:32 am

Hmmm. If that was put on an advert in the UK, the ASA would get it taken down.

If the A/D and D/A chips aren't connected to a 192kHz clock/crystal circuit, then they aren't 192kHz converters (although they could be if used in the right circuit).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:37 pm

"This car is capable* of 192 mph."

* If dropped head first from an aeroplane.**

** Mathematically modeled*** only, no physical testing has been done.

*** I punched some numbers into a calculator until an answer looked good.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Wonks wrote:Hmmm. If that was put on an advert in the UK, the ASA would get it taken down.

Not so sure about that!

They are happy to allow the completely meaningless phrase "up to 100% successful" on all manner of products, so I can't see them being very bothered about a device which really does have chips capable of 192kHz sample rates, even if they are being used at that rate.

And in any case, some converter chips do up-sample the incoming base-band audio to improve the filter performance and latency. Dunno if that's the case here, but it's often done in hi-fi products.

H
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext