You are here

Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 am

I'm considering moving from a pair of Zoom LiveTrak L-12 to a Behringer X32 (Compact or Producer) with optional X-Live card in order to capture live performance multi-tracks (while simultaneously acting as an audio interface for my own rig).

I was a bit dismayed to see that the main 16 inputs of the X32 are XLR mic inputs.

I really can't be bothered with 16 channels of DI, so I wonder if the mic inputs will be fine with synth outputs if I keep the mixer gains low.

Will this approach work?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Anyone using a Behringer X32 with synths?

Postby Dave B » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

I'd expect better of you Elf!

Yes, it should work fine, but I'd be looking at a bunch of 4 channel racked passive DI boxes and looms to the mixer to keep the stage neat and tidy and ensure you are balancing close to the source.

(just googled and you can get a palmer 8 channel for a couple of hundred - well worth the money)

Do it properly! :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 pm

The Elf wrote:I was a bit dismayed to see that the main 16 inputs of the X32 are XLR mic inputs.

A lot of good mixers are built that way -- they aren't just mic inputs!

I wonder if the mic inputs will be fine with synth outputs if I keep the mixer gains low.

I reviewed the original X32 and ran a full set of technical measurements on it:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/be ... -x32-media

In that report I stated: The mic preamps clip [with an input signal] at +23dBu, but with 0dB of gain dialled in an input of +21dBu registers as 0dBFS internally.

The published specs for the Rack version gives the same number for input overload, so I don't think you'll have any trouble with the outputs of your synths!

https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM ... K_M_EN.pdf

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:18 pm

We went for the A&H Qu16 and would go for that again maybe the Qu24... TRS line ins or xlr mic ins... Built in recorder. Good price 2nd hand these days.
solid pice of kit!
Beh...

And this:

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/passive_rack_DI.htm
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Humble Bee wrote:We went for the A&H Qu16
From what I understand (and you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to get this kind of information!) the A&H won't act as an audio interface at the same time as recording internally, so no good for what I need.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks guys, Everything I read seemed to suggest it would be fine, but it's good to hear it from those who understand all those numbers! It's a bit of a shame that the inputs aren't combis and there's no dedicated line/mic switch, but it is what it is.

This year's gigs are over, so I have time to upgrade before February. This is why I'm now looking to replace the Zooms. Like it or not (and I'll admit I can be sniffy about Behringer gear) it's one of the few mixers capable of what I need. Specifically I need a mixer that can act as an audio interface for my laptop at the same time as recording all of its separate inputs internally. Time and again I've checked out otherwise very capable gear that fails in this respect. Even the X32 itself can't do it without the addition of an X-Live card! It's a devil of a job trying to find out if mixers have this capability - nobody seems to know, including the manufacturer's technicians!

I need as simple and compact a solution as possible - the fewer boxes the better. Adding a DI box is not ideal.

The troubles I'm having with the Zooms are:

- Too few inputs. The new L-20 would seem like the ideal option, but I'm having other troubles related to the way the LiveTraks work that simply upgrading to more inputs isn't an ideal solution.

- The lack of moving faders is confusing the less technical band members. I've averted a couple of disasters related to this limitation, but I won't always manage to catch it. This is the biggest problem I'm having and the main reason for swapping.

- The resulting multi-track recordings aren't synced and getting them to sync properly back in my DAW is proving a bit of a chore. It can be done (and I was aware I'd have this issue from day one), but it isn't ideal.

- Lack of solo buttons can make setting up more onerous than it need be. I think this is fixed on the L-20, but...

For the above reasons I'll give the X32 a chance. The option to add personal monitor stations is a nice door to have open, though I won't be taking advantage of that in the short term.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Probably not at all what you’re looking for but the TASCAM Model 24 https://tascam.com/us/product/model_24/top has 16 line inputs and can record to SD card and is a USB interface. You’d have to enquire if it can do both at the same time and I’d imagine there’s other benefits of a digital mixer that you’d miss by using this one.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Nope, that Tascam can't do both at the same time. Very few can.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:31 pm

I have a vague memory of offering to see if the Soundcraft UI24R will do what you want, but I don’t think I came round to it.

I could find the time tomorrow if it potentially fits the bill?
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 pm

I have had an X32 Compact for 3½ years and it has lived up to (and usually exceeded) all my expectations. I don't gig much with it but it is my studio desk and audio interface. Like The Elf I was not a fan of Berry kit before the X32 but it really has been a game changer.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dan LB » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:03 pm

I can confirm the X32 rack is certainly capable of handling signals from synths plugged directly into the XLR inputs.
I gigged for a year with one doing this and never had a problem.
The neatest way I found to achieve the jack to XLR conversion was with a short stagebox with jack sockets on the box and XLR tails.

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:08 pm

Dan LB wrote:I can confirm the X32 rack is certainly capable of handling signals from synths plugged directly into the XLR inputs.
I gigged for a year with one doing this and never had a problem.
Great to hear first hand practical experience. Thanks,mate!

Dan LB wrote:The neatest way I found to achieve the jack to XLR conversion was with a short stagebox with jack sockets on the box and XLR tails.
That's a good point, and actually gives other advantages, since I could have a couple of 8-way boxes for extra flexibility.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:11 pm

Ramirez wrote:I have a vague memory of offering to see if the Soundcraft UI24R will do what you want, but I don’t think I came round to it.

I could find the time tomorrow if it potentially fits the bill?
Thanks, mate. It may help to have another option. I exhausted most options, or often I simply coudn't get a definitive answer.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:45 am

Oh yeah, one other thing: be careful with the phantom power! :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:18 am

Humble Bee
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 am

Humble Bee wrote:https://m.thomann.de/intl/cymatic_audio_utrack24_reviews.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ACH.EUR%3ACHF
That would take care of recording, but it gives me no mixer facilities - and the 'non-techs' would be absolutely baffled!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:58 am

I use the Midas 32R with the X live card. record to DAW through USB and to the SD cards at the same time for back up, and I've done live mixing and recording at the same time too.

honestly, the X live card is a good addition and not that expensive considering you're gonna bundle it with the X32
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:32 pm

ore_terra wrote:honestly, the X live card is a good addition and not that expensive considering you're gonna bundle it with the X32
:thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 pm

Expandability is one of the areas where the X32 line shines at the budget mixer end. All of the competitors will do a decent job, but don't have the range of options that the X32 line has - stageboxes, personal mixing, SD card recording, software. I'm guessing it's the ubiquity of the product that's enabled that. And, as everyone's discovered years ago, no problems with the B brand and their digital mixers.

So, no reservations on recommending it with your use case. Remember that the Producer lacks the LCD scribble strips - honestly, you'd be daft to lose those.

For the quickest connectivity win, an 8-way jack to XLR loom would work well for you. Or possibly 2 x 4-way, depending on how you're arranged. I carry 2 4-way looms, not always used, but work a treat for carrying multiple signals from the same point, rather than running multiple single cables - quicker still than a sub-snake with a stagebox.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby tubegeek » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:05 pm

Dan LB wrote:Oh yeah, one other thing: be careful with the phantom power! :thumbup:

Note that one of the X32's nice features is that phantom power may be turned on/off one channel at a time (some mixers do the selection in batches of 4 or more channels.)

But that will then require you to pay more attention to this since any channel might be accidentally phantom-on. In this synth setup you maybe could create a channel template and include Phantom Off as a parameter - (I think you can set that in a template - I haven't worked much with the template feature.)

if not, you certainly can copy & paste channel setups once you have one channel set up to your liking. That could get you a standard gain setting for example that would match on each channel, if you wanted that.

Amazing board for the money.
tubegeek

Next