You are here

FBT Vertus CS-1000, RCF Evox 8 V2, Evox j8 or Maui 28 G2 for best vocals and small to med venues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

FBT Vertus CS-1000, RCF Evox 8 V2, Evox j8 or Maui 28 G2 for best vocals and small to med venues

Postby poormaniac » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Hey everyone I am pretty new to this forum and could use your expert advise. To set it up I have a country/ singer-songwriter duo with male and female vocals and acoustic. Sometimes I add keys and/or percussion. I am looking for a system that will be clean, clear and have a warmth to the vocals and guitar. The 4 systems i’d Like to hear about are the FBT Vertus CS-1000, RCF Evox 8 V2, Evox j8 or Maui 28 G2. Primarily for their portability to power ratio. I travel in a hatchback ������. I will be buying two of what ever I decide. I have done extensive research, watched YouTube videos and read numerous forums which narrowed my choices down to these four but I am not in an area in which I can go listen to any of them so I have to rely on experts like you to help. I will be using an external mixer so an onboard mixer is a plus but not necessary. I primarily want to avoid the irritating harsh high mid sound some systems produce. I know I can eq it out but I am more of a musician than sound tech so if I can start with the best sound possible that would be ideal. We’ll be placing for audiences from 50-150 people. 200 would be the max. Any larger and the people bringing us in would provide the sound. I hope this gets us started. I really appreciate your feedback.
poormaniac
New here

Re: FBT Vertus CS-1000, RCF Evox 8 V2, Evox j8 or Maui 28 G2 for best vocals and small to med venues

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:24 pm

The FBT seems to get good reviews but I have only heard the Bose L1 Compact. However the Bose does reproduce vocals brilliantly well. Any reason why it isn't your short list?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: FBT Vertus CS-1000, RCF Evox 8 V2, Evox j8 or Maui 28 G2 for best vocals and small to med venues

Postby poormaniac » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks so much for the advice. The Bose Compact was initially on my list because everyone says it has amazing sound but after reading numerous reviews it appeared that some said it didn’t have as much punch or get loud enough levels compared to the others. You can correct this if you believe different. I need something that will be able to handle at least an acoustic, keyboard, and percussion as well as vocals and still fill a medium size hall for some of our shows. My friend has the Bose L1 M2 and loves it. Two of those would probably do it. And If I could afford it i’d Consider it but they are just too pricey for my budget right now. I am wanting to get two of what ever I decide. I’ve heard great things about the FBT as well but they are also at the top of my budget and not sure if the 110 h is wide enough for small gigs if I use them as FOH and a monitor. My hesitation with the Maui 28 G2 is not being able to adjust the height and wondering if that will be necessary in more crowded clubs, pubs etc. Also, I’m wondering how durable the connections are. I’ve read the mids on the Evox 8’s are weak. Again this is from different forums and i’m Just trying to decide. It’s so hard to decide when you can’t physically listen to them first. Again thanks for the advice.
poormaniac
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:03 pm

If volume is what you need then point source boxes are definitely the way to go. For a similar budget to two Evox 8s you can buy two Yamaha DZR10 ( which go significantly louder (+11dB SPL). Or a couple of DXR10/DXR12s for a little more than half the price (and the DXRs are 3 db SPL louder), add a couple of TC VoiceSolo personal monitors and you're good to go with money in your pocket.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanR » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:46 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If volume is what you need then point source boxes are definitely the way to go. For a similar budget to two Evox 8s you can buy two Yamaha DZR10 ( which go significantly louder (+11dB SPL). Or a couple of DXR10/DXR12s for a little more than half the price (and the DXRs are 3 db SPL louder), add a couple of TC VoiceSolo personal monitors and you're good to go with money in your pocket.

Yes, agree that a pair of Yamaha DXR10s or DZR10s would give higher SPL and be cheaper too.
For vocals, guitar, percussion and occasional keys, these would do fine.
If you want subs too (handy as no speaker stands needed) then a very good system that would fit in the hatch would be 2x RCF HD10 mk iv and 2x RCF 702as ii subs.
The RCF system would be around £300 cheaper than 2x FBT CS1000s.
DanR
Regular

Postby poormaniac » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:08 am

I have tried commenting three times and it doesn’t show up so I’ll try again. First thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check into them but I am really interested in these all in one mini array type systems for portability and easy get in and out. I am pretty sold on getting one of the ones I have mentioned and would love to hear from some that are using or have used these systems for small duos or other live band situations. I agree the traditional box will get louder but it’s a combo of volume, compactness, sound spread and the ability to use it as both FOH and monitors for smaller venues. Again thanks for the input. I may have just bought into the mini array hype but after using a traditional system for years I am ready to try something new.
poormaniac
New here

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:27 am

Your first three posts have to be approved by the moderators - an effort to stop spammers signing up and immediately posting their messages. You've now got three posts, so they should show up immediately.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:05 pm

One unit should be fine for smaller venues, but you might need two by the time you get to 200, just for coverage if nothing else. I know the Bose L1 has the small speakers alternating at different angles to give a wider spread of sound, but your mentioned systems all have the small speakers facing forwards. So think about the horizontal coverage you need.

Vertus states 110°, LD Maui states 120°, Evoxs are both 120°, but that stated coverage is probably at the -10dB points, so considerably quieter than the level straight in front of the speaker.

If you are placed in a corner of a rectangular room, one speaker behind you in a corner angled mainly down the length of the space should cover the space adequately. But if you are placed in the middle of one long side of the same room, you'll only cover the area directly in front, so two units at right angles to each other would be needed to cover the whole space.

But I really would recommend trying to get to somewhere where you can try them out for sound quality and volume

Obviously two units would give a bit more volume for larger spaces as well. You only need to use one unit for smaller suitable venues, but it's worth having two available.

The SoS review of the Maui https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ld-systems-maui-28 really indicates to me that the unit needs to be raised up a bit if it's not placed on a raised stage otherwise all the sound from low mid and mid frequency mid drivers will be aimed at the legs and body of a standing audience.

The staggered frequency allocation of the drivers also means that the Maui system isn't best used behind you for monitoring as well as FOH use as you have to be standing some distance away from the speakers before the sound becomes balanced (as described in the review). Its real world output is also down on the other systems.

So it might be the cheapest of the four systems, but it's the one I'd discount first.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby poormaniac » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Wonks thanks for the info. I agree about the Maui 28. Leaning towards the Vertus. I have found someone just under 2 hours away that has them in stock so think I’ll check them out. Thanks again!
poormaniac
New here

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:56 pm

I can't comment on the Maui 28s but I had a pair of the first generation Maui 11's.

They sounded ok (much better than the LD system 12" moulded cabs that they replaced) and they are amazingly forgiving with regards to feedback. They were, however, woefully underpowered for our needs. This was for vocals against a backline of drums, 2 guitars and bass in pubs and small clubs.

The gen 1 had a max SPL of 114dB. The G2 124dB and the Maui 28s are rated 126dB. Mine were replaced by a pair of Yamaha DXR12s (132dB) which are, in my opinion, far superior.

The Maui 11s are slightly different to the 28s in that the column does not come apart - this makes it quite trick to carry two in a bag without knocking into things (and they are quite hefty so will do some serious damage). The subs could be carried one in each hand but then I can do this with the Yamahas. Overall I'd say that the Yamaha cabs + stands are easier to carry, fit into a car and to set up than the Maui's. The only real advantage to the Maui's was that there footprint was much smaller than a tripod stand which was handy for very small pubs.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby DanR » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:12 pm

poormaniac wrote:I primarily want to avoid the irritating harsh high mid sound some systems produce.

Don’t think you’ll have a problem with the Vertus or the Evoxx systems. I used to have a pair of FBT Maxx 4 passive speakers and they sounded really nice. Quality speakers.
Same goes for my current RCF HD12a cabs.

I think either the FBT Vertus or RCF Evoxx 8 v2 would do very nicely. Designed for ease of transport and setup.
The FBT Vertus has a handy top speaker level control and eq presets too.
DanR
Regular

Postby poormaniac » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks everyone this is great! So much knowledge on here. I am leaning toward the Vertus because of portability and separate sub and main volume controls. Keep the opinions coming.... thanks again
poormaniac
New here

Postby forumuser647509 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi poormaniac. I spent an afternoon in Session Music Surrey comparing an FBT Vertus 1000 with a 604a and 208a sub. For me the 604/208 was miles better. Totally different sound. Cleaner, warmer, and much more detailed. I'd used an RCF EVOX 8 for a year before I changed to the FBT. In my opinion the Exox and Vertus 1000 systems are best suited to DJ's who like a bit of bass but can't carry a 15" or 18" Sub. They really are miles away from a properly tuned, 2 piece set up. I think they're tuned with a lot of bottom end and not much in the low mid frequency range. The other great thing about the 208/604 set up is its modular. I play keys and sing blues and boogie with upright bass and a drummer. I've used one 604 with the 208 for 100 people on numerous occasions and the sound always gets complimented on. Even used them on an outdoor gig for abut 80 people in the summer and it filled the space. When I played a larger marquee I did use the full set up. 2 of each. It always sounds great and is very easy to carry and set up. All the players I've worked with have complimented the sound too. Vocally its one of the best I've heard. Hope this helps if you haven't already bought a system!!
forumuser647509

Postby poormaniac » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Thanks everyone again for all of the knowledge. You have given me a lot to think about! I think I just need to try and find one I can test out.
poormaniac
New here