You are here

Mixing from the stage

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Mixing from the stage

Postby ben howes » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am

Hello,
7 piece function band, XR18, iem stage monitoring. No sound engineer, horn player controls the mix. Gigs in bars and clubs, nothing big.
Going into the audience to listen to the FOH mix during the show isn't easy. FOH mix to in ears doesn't give a reliable impression of the room sound.
Is there any mileage in placing some room mics to provide a monitor for the room sound? I know there's no substitute for a pair of real ears out there, but wonder if anyone has tried it.
Ben
ben howes
Regular

Re: Mixing from the stage

Postby ore_terra » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 am

similar situation (but much smaller band): I used to sing and play guitar in a power trio, and also do the sound thing in small gigs with a M32.

rehearsing we recorded a click track, my guitar DI'd and my voice (with the same guitar and mic I would use in gigs) and I would use that recording to sound check from the SD card

- putting the click in drummer's in ear monitors
- reampling my recorded DI'd guitar through my amp
- routing my recorded vocals to the lead vocals channel

that would leave me free to sound check "the whole band" without me playing.

not sure if the X air has the same capabilities of playing back recorded tracks from SD card or USB drives.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 am

The XR18 does have multitrack recording and playback (all the other X-Airs can only record and playback stereo)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ben howes » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks for the idea of the virtual sound check. It's not so much the sound check, but mid gig when the room is full. Things change and although the band is mostly going through pa (no amps on stage), drums and sax have acoustic components.
ben howes
Regular

Postby DanR » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:25 pm

ben howes wrote:It's not so much the sound check, but mid gig when the room is full.
Yes, not at all easy. I mix sound from stage (keys) for my 6-9 piece band. If we’re unable to get a soundman then I find a suitable point in the set where the keys can drop out, and nip out front.
Rather that than risk doing the whole set with something too quiet or too loud.
DanR
Regular

Postby pointfive » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:06 pm

Similar situation to us, (essentially) an up to 6 piece band that I mix (as a musician) from the stage, using an XR18 controlled by tablet and hardwired laptop.

I wouldn't fancy having a mic in the audience, even if you're feeding to an in-ear, I think there's scope for things to wrong that I could do without. There's enough stress already doing the two jobs

We have a big enough band that I can nominate different bandmembers to go front of stage at various points and give me succinct feedback on the overall sound.

I don't expect the results to be perfect, but I always hope that we can keep the overwhelming majority of the audience happy with the sound.

All of this is probably not that helpful to you, but it might be reassuring to know that you're not alone! :-D

m.
pointfive
Poster
https://www.pointfiveceilidh.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 pm

I mix my band from the stage, we mostly do bar gigs and similar. My goto desk for those is a Mackie DL1608 which I have had for a fair few years now and the app (I usually run V2 and they are up to V5 at present) is simple enough to hand an old iPad to a mate just for basic balancing duties which gives me pretty much the best of both worlds.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ben howes » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Sam, that sounds like a high risk strategy. We've previously handed our tablet to the venue's "sound guy", who kindly tested all the onboard effects during the show!!
Does your mate take a cut of the earnings?
Ben
ben howes
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Thankfully the Mackie app lets you lock anything you don't want your amateur soundie to play with :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster