You are here

what is the best sounding small system

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

YAMAHA
33%
NEXO
No votes
D&B
33%
HK AUDIO
No votes
l-acoustics
No votes
D.A.S
No votes
RCF
No votes
MARTIN AUDIO
No votes
QSC
33%
Altech Lansing
No votes

Total votes : 3

what is the best sounding small system

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:25 am

Ok, i know this question is different to all due to each person having different ears to what is better for each other but... here goes, what is the best sounding small system for solo act doing audiences up to 350 people? I need it compact but still kicking ass... thanks for your time
gsc1ugs
Poster

Re: what is the best sounding small system

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:15 am

Each of the brands in your survey manufacture a variety of systems, so your survey is simply asking about 'brand preference', not what system is best!

If you provide more useful information - you say solo act - do you use backings? - Singer/Acoustic guitarist?

Probably best to ask for specific system suggestions.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:55 am

Price plays a big influence. Is it an open budget?

And presumably it's to be taken round with you, rather than installed at a specific venue?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Sorry yes, solo act with backing tracks, madness tribute, budget depends on the shear quality of sound and yes, i have too tow these things around with me
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm

There are much better and more experienced minds than mine out there, but remembering a couple of things from your previous thread, I'd be looking at a combo of a couple of 10" active boxes, a sub and an 8" active for a stage monitor from whichever Yamaha range I could stretch to.
But that's just me.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Yup, me too though I wouldn't object to any of the others either except, maybe Altec who don't seem to be doing high end kit these days.

However, Madness to 350 punters requires some considerable power and 2 x 10"s and a sub would not come close to hacking it IMO. I wouldn't want to be rigging a sufficiently powerful rig, playing the show and then tearing it all down again on my own either so reserve the personal rig for smaller places and hire a sound guy and proper rig for the big ones.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Madness to 350 punters requires some considerable power and 2 x 10"s and a sub would not come close to hacking it IMO.
True. I was still thinking in the 'rigging it myself' headspace.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby tantroniq » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Following this thread.

My challenge is to find a streamlined setup that would allow me to bypass the "house pa" in venues where those are not well maintained. My genre is experimental electronica, so generally the audience is going to be under 250 (well under 250 in most cases) but the venues might be made for larger audiences. Or sometimes the venue is a multipurpose type room. Its kind of maddening to consider all the variables inherent in that range, but there it is. The good news is I don't need to slam listeners into their seats.

I performed a brand new set at an electronic music festival, and it being all new material for live with literally all of it being things I had not done before, I was going in a bit...blind? I used an old JBL monitoring system I had purchased for when I was doing a traveling act for venues with similar challenges (random house sound quality and available tech) and patched from it to the house speakers, and was told by experienced and discerning listeners that it all sounded great but I myself never got to hear what they did.

I have no experience with this type of live sound. My live sound was all acoustic instrumental (classical) and then I went straight to recording electronica. Now I'm working to build a new live repertoire, which is electronica/multimedia.

I would think the requirements for best sound would depend a lot on the kind of sound you are trying to make. In my case there is almost no standard instrumentation, but there is some (electric violin). but there is a lot of nuanced sound qualities that defy easy description (lots and lots of sound/noise design). My challenge is to find something that will reproduce what Ive pre-recorded without distortion. And I don't need to turn anything up to 11.
tantroniq

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:28 pm

When i said 350 that would be the max, just covering myself, mostly a 150 crowd i would imagine but the odd club can hold many
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Ok, relatively a known quantity (I have DXRs and have auditioned DSRs) and (relatively) at a sensible budget. Yamaha DZR10, x 3 (2 x FOH + 1 x monitor) plus one (or maybe two, try the rig with one and add a second if one is not enough) DXS15 subs. Cost around £3500. To do the same with 'the best' (as requested) you'd want to consider L'Acoustic or Nexo (who belong to Yamaha). FWIW the equivalent Nexo box costs £1400 each and they are unpowered so you'd have to budget for power amps too. Hard to give an exact cost but closer to £7k I would have thought.

A DXR/DSR rig would come in at around £2300 and be excellent for your 150 audience but probably a little underpowered for 350.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:19 pm

For quality of sound and ease of transport, I would go with D&B every time.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Which model of d&b?
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:58 pm

That depends on budget and how loud you want things to get! D&B cost quite a bit!

I just did the sound for a charity theatre gig - just 100 audience and I flew two Genelec 8030s above the audience and added a couple of Genelec subs. Worked a treat! They were certainly loud enough. The show opened with smoke and the sound of a bomb going off in the trenches - hence the subs.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Active and relatively cheap (£1,300-1,400 each) and damn loud - JBL SRX835P. They will probably do your 350 gigs with ease.

Speaker design has advanced enormously in the past 15 years or so and gone are the days of schlepping massive boxes around.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Thxs for that, so why are K2’s £4500?
gsc1ugs
Poster

Postby Dave B » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Where are the K2s listed at 4.5k? I only see them for 7-800 as the K.2 series only goes up to 12" drivers. Arguably, a more comparable product to the JBL that RB mentioned would be something like the KW153 and that's also about 1300-1400.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 am

You need to get out there and do some listening for yourself.

I've not used everything on you list, but I work mainly the size of events you mention, so here are my thoughts:

As already said, most of those brands have several ranges, which differ vastly.

For example, I own an RCF TT+ system (started with 8" Tops & 12" Subs, and now have 12" tops as well & occasionally a 2x18" Sub). IMO, the 8" sound better (and cost less than the 12" tops), for most of what I do - though on paper there's almost no difference in their spec. But the 12" top's look more impressive, and that counts sometimes. Get to 350 people at high volume though, and I'd be looking to sub in something bigger, and not want to set it up on my own.

I'd take my TT+ over any HK, Nexo QSC or Yamaha I've ever heard for that size of system. Give me the the money, and I'd probably swap them to D&B, or more probably something from KV2 which you've missed of your list.

But the same is not true of RCF's cheaper boxes, and when started with a smaller budget I pulled them out; HK were high on my list, though in the end I decided to spend more, which I've never regretted.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 am

gsc1ugs
Poster