You are here

EON ONE PRO- Bluetooth Remote Control

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

EON ONE PRO- Bluetooth Remote Control

Postby SandyE » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 am

I perform sing-a-longs at nursing homes. I want to add a ventriloquist routine in the middle of the performance. I use a Mackie mixer connected to Channel 1 of the EON.
To the mixer I have my mic, a Numark NDX500 media player, and my Taylor guitar
with an Expression pickup. The Numark I generally don't use but it's there in case
I need to use backing tracks. This setup works fine for the sing-a-longs. I'm completely
stumped, however, as to how to accomplish the sound I'd like for the ventriloquism portion. The sing-longs I perform in front of the audience. During the vent routine I want to stroll through the audience. My dummy will be doing both talking and singing to backing tracks. I'll have all the backing tracks I'll need on a single CD track. When I bring out "Melvin" I'll be in front of the audience and will have the Numark CD track cued and ready to start. When I start the stroll I'll hit the PLAY as I leave the front. What I need advice on is how to stop/restart playback that I can control myself with a wireless remote concealed in Melvin's "back". Simply stop/restart- no track changing needed. Is there a bluetooth remote available that would work for me? The Numark doesn't have bluetooh but the EON does. I also need advice on another requirement- during the stroll I'll need constant sound from a wireless headset mic. (I want to continue my use of a wired mic when singing up front), Since I can't attach the wireless mic to the EON
I assume my only option would be to connect it to a separate stage monitor I'll have up front. I know nothing about blue tooth. I have used only one bluetooth device in my life-
a foot switch I use to "flip" the pages of lyrics PDF's on my laptop I use during practice.
I would appreciate any advice on handling sound during the stroll. By the way, the perfect remote control for me would have only one button- On/Off. Thanks
SandyE
Poster

Re: EON ONE PRO- Bluetooth Remote Control

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:42 am

As the Newmark player doesn't have bluetooth you can't control it by BT so you either need a different way of controlling the Newmark or a different media player.

Consider an iPad for playback and an Airturn BT105 with a custom button (I have done this with a single footswitch to advance pages in "My Lyric Book").

The wireless headset mic receiver can just go into the mixer (assuming enough channels).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 pm

If you're good with electronics, then a car key fob type remote could probably be wired to the Media Player's play/pause button relatively easily, but you may not want to do that!

It's relatively easy to make any playback device Bluetooth with something like this https://www.reytid.co.uk/products/reytid-bluetooth-4-0-tv-transmitter-with-dual-connectivity-10m-range-universal-compatibility?variant=12211216547940&gclid=CjwKCAiAo8jgBRAVEiwAJUXKqDsOGmgaB0hTkupNjhNqR2qqFHXfoL5Ci7PBfLszFceDm3tKOJ_JKhoC5XoQAvD_BwE - I've a pair of them which are useful for many things from time to time and seem reliable. There are cheaper options which only transmit too.
There is a noticeable latency with them, but that shouldn't matter for playing a backing track.

So then find a small media player with a nice start stop button on it, maybe this one
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1988372?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158%7Cacid:532-198-3455%7Ccid:200217410%7Cagid:12488202170%7Ctid:pla-101880960530%7Ccrid:66128549810%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:11420780529630359776%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1o4%7Cmt:%7Cloc:9045771&gclid=CjwKCAiAo8jgBRAVEiwAJUXKqKRX2g2jwBzAKV_ADQVR7_xMQ63URGelsOgSrQX7kUm4Qv1pOEyDXhoCN3gQAvD_BwE ? (I don't know it though). Rip your CD to that & you're good to go.

Then transmit either to the EON, or to a Bluetooth receiver connected to the desk.

Your radio mic should just connect to the desk as Sam says.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Good idea Mark, I have one of those BT transmitters and it works fine though, as you say, latency is fairly high. I thought of a player in the dummy but was thinking phones which are pretty much all touchscreen thus no good for tactile operation.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:56 pm

I have one of these: https://www.onbuy.com/gb/game-controllers/digiflex-usb-pc-remote-control~c8386~p3987049/?exta=gshp&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxs3gBRDGARIsAO4tqq2KrIIofY12fgPPLDCssP6-47fO5SnebVYKC8SYU9DHLVLwvtJIao4aAgDrEALw_wcB

Works a treat with my Windows laptop - 12" screen.

A different approach I know, but would overcome the latency issues.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:06 pm

I came across a bluetooth 'selfie' button, connected fine and worked as a camera shutter release but I couldn't make it do anything else useful. It was only about 3 quid mind you. Might revisit it at some point.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Good idea. You'd have to give some thought to sightlines for anything that uses IR from inside a puppet though!
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Dude it has eyes...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:18 pm

In all seriousness, would one of these work? I used something similar when I did shows in cinema's and the laptop had to sit in the projection room with the presenter/device 50m off away on what passed as a stage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... 1390286157

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster