You are here

Boss ACS di/line out...mic or line level?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Boss ACS di/line out...mic or line level?

Postby hopscotch44 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:47 am

Hello,

I have looked at the manuals and online sources for advice before asking my very basic question here.
i hope someone can give me a very simple advice please.

I have just purchased a Boss Acoustic Singer Live amplifier.
I am unsure about the type of output provided by the Di xlr output on the back.

Notes in the manual say it can connect straight into a p.a. system.

Is the output at line level or mic level? Do i need a Di Box as well?

is the term Di/line out using the word 'line' in a way different than implied by line level..

i hope my muddle is clear?

thank you
hopscotch44
Poster

Re: Boss ACS di/line out...mic or line level?

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 pm

I've just looked as well and I have no idea. They've used conflicting terms and have quoted no output levels.

The block diagram shows the 'pre-fx line out' signal to be taken after the pre-amp, so that will be line level, but the signal then feeds into a block called LA before being connected to the XLR. That could simply be an unbalanced to balanced converter, or it could be a gain reduction device which also converts it to a balanced output. It is probably line level, but there is a chance it's mic level.

Have you got your own mixer? If so, I'd just try it out first and see. If you've got an XLR to TRS cable, then I'd stick it in a line input and see what the level is like. If it's very quiet indeed, even with lots of gain, then it's mic level and you can feed it into a mic input directly.

If you've only got an XLR/XLR cable, then the gain right down on an input and use an XLR/XLR cable to connect it. If it's a line level signal it should overload very quickly (if not immediately) as you turn the gain up. If it's mic, then you may need a reasonable amount of gain to get a strong signal.

Either way, you shouldn't need to use a DI box, though if it is a line-level signal and you are using a stage box, then using a DI box (active or passive) to convert it to a mic level feed on an XLR cable could make life easier for whoever's doing FOH sound.

Alternatively put the question to Boss UK support, and suggest they make the output level clear. https://eu.boss.info/en/login/
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:40 pm

hopscotch44 wrote:I have just purchased a Boss Acoustic Singer Live amplifier.
I am unsure about the type of output provided by the Di xlr output on the back.

Notes in the manual say it can connect straight into a p.a. system.

Is the output at line level or mic level? Do i need a Di Box as well?

Your muddle is not unusual. Different manufacturers provide radically different signal levels at the DI outputs of their amplifiers, and I've found all kinds of unexpected things over the years!

But as Wonks says, you shouldn't need a DI box. The built-in DI facility will undoubtedly provide a balanced output suitable for feeding a PA.

However, as to whether it's mic or line level, that seems to be anyone's guess. Disappointing that Boss haven't been more explicit in their manuals.

Sometimes the manufacturer pads the internal line-level signal of the preamp down to a nominal mic level (say -50dBu), some leave it at a the internal line level (maybe 0 or +4dBu) and some pick a level somewhere in the middle around the notional 'instrument level' of about -20dBu.

I'd suggest doing as Wonks has explained to find out what works in practice.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby hopscotch44 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:12 am

Hi again.....i am thankful for the tips etc.
I got this reply from Boss:

"Unfortunately we don’t have exact numbers. My team in Japan has just told me that they are line level outputs."
hopscotch44
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 am

Fair enough!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound