You are here

Church Desk Newbie

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Church Desk Newbie

Postby trevtt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:23 am

Morning All from the Snowy UK
Im a volunteer on our church Sound desk. We have recently installed a slightly less Archaic Desk to our old outgoing desk the Spirit Folio SX.
Our New desk the Allen &Heath GL2200, Seems to have more features than the old Desk. many Jack and Din plug options are similar, but a few are different.
Ive managed to get the Desk up and running chaining out connections that I can swap straight over. However a few challenges have presented themselves, for which id appreciate some advice. ( i have downloaded the PDF manual, this has got a bit technical though)

- Firstly: This is the main setup for for input and out put leads.
I have main L & R on Channel 21/22 Stereo return Aux 1 & 2
Aux three is outputting to floor monitors with the band ( though it just occurred to me how can two be coming form the single Din plug) This all seems to work through the individual faders for each channel. However the master Yellow faders. have no effect on overall output volume from the main speakers!

-2nd Ive have tried to get a sub mix setup for just the band through Aux 5 & 6 channel. this also has had no effect as yet.

-3 We also used to have a single speaker setup in an adjacent Crash room. that was outputted on the old desk from the Aux mono Jack. but I've been unable to find a similar output port for this. Aux's don't work.

I have more questions, however for now Ill leave it there.
All help is very much appreciated. Kind regards Trev.

PS Ive a feeling these pictures art going to show LOL theres my next problem...lol
trevtt

Re: Church Desk Newbie

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 am

trevtt wrote:Morning All from the Snowy UK

Welcome to the SOS forums, Trev!

I've managed to get the Desk up and running chaining out connections that I can swap straight over. However a few challenges have presented themselves, for which id appreciate some advice. ( i have downloaded the PDF manual, this has got a bit technical though)

Yes, the manual is here. A&H manuals are generally very good, but do assume a certain level of background knowledge and understanding, I'm afraid.

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/GL2200-USER-GUIDE-AP3388_5.pdf

This is the main setup for for input and output leads.
I have main L & R on Channel 21/22 Stereo return Aux 1 & 2

Okay. I think there might be some confusion over terminology involved here, which could make it harder to work through what's going on. I don't want to teach granny to sick eggs here, so apologies if some of what follows seems patronising or belittling -- that's not my aim at all! Just trying to clear away the confusion.

I presume you mean the main stereo outputs are controlled by the 21/22 faders. The term 'channels' on a console normally refer to the mic/line input channels. On the A&H console you have a number of mono input channels, then a couple of stereo input channels. There are also some stereo effects return inputs.

Outputs -- such as the mains, groups and auxes, are just that: outputs (not channels).

You mention stereo return and aux 1& 2 as if they're the same thing, but the returns are inputs and the auxes are outputs, so I'm not sure what you're doing there...

Aux three is outputting to floor monitors with the band ( though it just occurred to me how can two be coming form the single Din plug)

First, there are no DIN plugs on your console. DIN plugs/sockets look like this, and are used sometimes on hi-fi equipment, for MIDI connections, and a few other things:

Your console uses female 'XLR' connectors for the mic inputs, and male XLRs for the main and group outputs.

All the other audio connections are via quarter-inch 'TRS' sockets. The line inputs and outputs are wired for balanced operation, while the inserts and headphone are wired for unbalanced usage. If you want to know more about the differences, let me know.

(Quarter-inch TRS with XLR for scale)

This all seems to work through the individual faders for each channel. However the master Yellow faders have no effect on overall output volume from the main speakers!

Probably means you're not using the L-out / R-out XLRs to feed your main speakers, then.

2nd Ive have tried to get a sub mix setup for just the band through Aux 5 & 6 channel. this also has had no effect as yet.

Auxes are normally used to send a combination of channel signals to an external effects processor (eg, a reverb unit), or to send signals to floor monitors. If that's what you're trying to do, turn up the relevant aux sends on the channels, turn up the corresponding master Aux send control in the output section of the desk, and connect the appropriate Aux output to the floor monitors or effect unit.

However, if you're trying to create a mixing subgroup where a number of input channels (eg, all those related to the band), are controlled by subgroup faders so they can be all faded up or down together easily without altering the internal balance) then deselect those band channels from the LR outputs using the routing buttons near the faders, and select the buttons for the desired groups instead. Then on the groups, make sure their routing buttons are selected for the LR outputs.

We also used to have a single speaker setup in an adjacent Crash room. that was outputted on the old desk from the Aux mono Jack. but I've been unable to find a similar output port for this. Aux's don't work.

The A&H has a dedicated mono output just the same. It provides a mono sum of the main stereo outputs (after the master faders), and it has its own level control. It appears on an XLR labelled M-Out just above the main L-out/R-out sockets.

Ive a feeling these pictures art going to show LOL theres my next problem...lol

The SOS forum can't host pictures and you can't upload any to the site. Instead, you need to host the pictures on a publicly accessible site elsewhere, and then past links to those pics back here. Sorry!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 pm

I WONDERED how "DINs" got on an A&H mixer!

Nailed it Hugh.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi Trev

Welcome from me too! :thumbup:

Church Sound is one of my specialties and I've advised many churches on sound systems and installed quite a few too!

Where are you based? If it's not too far from Cirencester I'd be happy to come to your church and walk through everything with you. No charge, but petrol money appreciated.

Send me a Personal Message if you want to discuss further.

Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Ramirez » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Hi Trev

Welcome from me too! :thumbup:

Church Sound is one of my specialties and I've advised many churches on sound systems and installed quite a few too!

Where are you based? If it's not too far from Cirencester I'd be happy to come to your church and walk through everything with you. No charge, but petrol money appreciated.

Send me a Personal Message if you want to discuss further.

Mike

This place rocks.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby garrettendi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Mike, you are a capital fella!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)