You are here

Ever used or heard of: Studio Master PAA 330 power amp?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Ever used or heard of: Studio Master PAA 330 power amp?

Postby Jonathan Taylor » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Sounds like a daft question but I can not find a single item about this amp online, NOTHING! It's like it never existed but I assure you it does and the name is error free. There's one for sale at a very good price in Sofia (Bulgaria - home) but the shop can't help as nothing is stamped on it and they too find nothing...

Here's a link: http://www.mmg-music.com/en/node/7517

If you are familiar with this amp I simply want to know how many ohms per channel and wattage per channel and combined in bridge mode. Any help much appreciated. I just want something about 500 watts to manage a single centre bass cab from the/a cross-over.

THANKS, JT :headbang:
Jonathan Taylor
New here

Re: Ever used or heard of: Studio Master PAA 330 power amp?

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:27 pm

Doesn't appear to be a bridge mode on it. You'd need a switch (which would be marked) or a separate marked terminal for bridged mode.

Purely a stereo power amp, probably 150W or 165W per channel into 4 ohms as the current draw rating of the amp looks to be either 300VA or 500VA (probably the latter). With a class A/B amp, you won't get more rated power output than the stated intake power.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm not entirely surprised you can't find anything. That looks like it dates from the late 70s or early 80s, predating the WWW!

The model numbers are usually indicative of power, though, so I'd hazard a guess that would provide around 330W per channel into 4 Ohms. And 175, perhaps into 8 Ohms. So maybe 650W bridged into 8 ohms...

No idea whether it's mosfet or bipolar, but a squint inside would reveal all.

However, if it's as old as I think it is then it may need new PSU caps and other electrolytics at the very least to make it reliable.

It might be worth scouring the old music mag scans online at Mu:zines to see if that specific model turns up in an ad or review.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:37 pm

My experience is that the numbers on these old amps normally indicate total power, not per channel.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Janneman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Ask studiomaster about it. Looks too me a very old amp.

I had once a studiomaster and mixer. Great stuff.
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:55 pm

Wonks wrote:My experience is that the numbers on these old amps normally indicate total power, not per channel.

Actually, you may well be right... and it does look like a two-channel amp. So let me revise my guesstimate downwards to maybe 330W bridged into 8 ohms or 160W per channel into 4 Ohms (or 85W per channel into 8 Ohms).... And I'd still be very wary of it if it hasn't been serviced recently!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Jonathan Taylor » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Thank you guys, very interesting and understandable. It is cheap - at today's rates about 54 quid...! Doesn't sound to be of any use at all for the need, but perhaps as a monitor/foldback amp it could have a use somewhere. I'll keep searching and will check out the old mags as suggested. The great thing about Bulgaria is that you can get anything repaired at rock bottom cash prices here: there's always an old master wanting the work somewhere so age is not really a worry.
Jonathan Taylor
New here

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:20 pm

As I said before, I really don't think bridged is an option on this amp. It will need to be very clearly stated which terminals are for bridge use - and there are no markings here, just two sets of output jacks per channel.

On their more powerful amps, Studiomaster used both XLRs and binding posts and there was a stereo/bridge switch.
Wonks
Jedi Poster