You are here

Interface to match Shure SM7B

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Interface to match Shure SM7B

Postby Aidenator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:17 pm

ef37a wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Rather than change the interface, another solution allowing you to process the mic signal on the way in to the computer would be to invest in a 'channel strip' -- a hardware mic preamp with built-in EQ and compression facilities. It would produce a line level output which you would need to connect to the line input of your interface. There are lots of channel strips to choose from depending on our budget.

H

Good call Mr H. The DBX 286s seem to get a good rep' and has all the bells and whistles the OP could surely want? It is £150 though and he would have to run it through his existing AI and he is I think wanting to upgrade that? Peeps have repeatedly told him that is very unlikely to make a difference and indeed, after processing a signal through a good but to be honest "budget" strip, the most expensive A/D converter in the world would be a waste!

I have also found a snag with the A&H ZED i8 USB mixer? Pulled up the signal flow diagram and the feed to the USB unit is PRE EQ! There is solder pad option to change it to post but how many retailers are equipped for such "customization" these days?

The ZED 10 USB does at least take a post EQ USB signal but pre "pan" although there does seem to be a way to patch around the issue. I would suggest OP asks before purchase of other USB mixer suppliers as to the take off point of USB feed but I feel the "chit of a girl/boy" on the phone would just go "do'er?"

The best I can suggest is to get a decent small mixer and feed that to the existing AI. If OP feels that is not giving him the best quality, upgrade the AI. It seems an affordable, single device that gives sound processing AND conversion simply does not exist?

Dave.
Hello,

Perhaps it is possible that my UX2 is able to produce the sound that I am looking for?

I am looking for a sound like this.

The problem that I'm having is that my audio often has next to no bass, or sounds disgusting and muddy.

My UX2 has software to edit things such as compression and EQ. The EQ options are:

Console or American Classic
Or lastly a 4-Band EQ.

I have taken a raw recording of my voice which can be accessed here.

Please could somebody perhaps give me some guidance as to what frequencies I should be looking at?

All help is greatly appreciated!
Aidenator
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Aidenator wrote:I am looking for a sound like this.

I probably wouldn't use that as an example of a good vocal sound - there's too much rubbish on the bass end as it is obvious he's trying to make a relatively light voice sound bassy. The voiceover artists that I know tend to be able to get that sound with very little electronic help - having a well trained voice is far more important than the gear.

Aidenator wrote:I have taken a raw recording of my voice which can be accessed here.

That link just goes to a screenshot of an eq setting - hearing a sample of your voice would be more helpful.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Aidenator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 pm

James Perrett wrote:

I probably wouldn't use that as an example of a good vocal sound - there's too much rubbish on the bass end as it is obvious he's trying to make a relatively light voice sound bassy. The voiceover artists that I know tend to be able to get that sound with very little electronic help - having a well trained voice is far more important than the gear.

Aidenator wrote:I have taken a raw recording of my voice which can be accessed here.

That link just goes to a screenshot of an eq setting - hearing a sample of your voice would be more helpful.
Whoops, wrong link. Edited and fixed. Thank you
Aidenator
Poster

Postby Aidenator » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 pm

James Perrett wrote:

I should also add that while voiceovers will be something I do, my most common use case would be my regular speaking voice for livestreams.
Aidenator
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:08 pm

I'd say you've got a pretty good basic sound there - certainly better than the sound on the video you linked to. You could probably benefit from a little compression to even things out a bit on that sample, maybe a couple of dB cut in the midrange if you want to go for a more 'voiceover' style and a high pass filter at around 60Hz to remove the odd slight plosive but thats all as far as I'm concerned.

There's a little bit of room sound which will be accentuated by any compression so I think your greatest improvement is going to be in the area of room acoustics. And make sure you talk across the mic rather than into it to prevent plosives when working close.
James Perrett

Postby Aidenator » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:58 pm

James Perrett wrote:I'd say you've got a pretty good basic sound there - certainly better than the sound on the video you linked to. You could probably benefit from a little compression to even things out a bit on that sample, maybe a couple of dB cut in the midrange if you want to go for a more 'voiceover' style and a high pass filter at around 60Hz to remove the odd slight plosive but thats all as far as I'm concerned.

There's a little bit of room sound which will be accentuated by any compression so I think your greatest improvement is going to be in the area of room acoustics. And make sure you talk across the mic rather than into it to prevent plosives when working close.
I'd like to make my voice sound "richer" - with more bass, etc. What would you suggest with the previously mentioned plugins?
Aidenator
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Aidenator wrote:I'd like to make my voice sound "richer" - with more bass, etc. What would you suggest with the previously mentioned plugins?

First get right up close to the mic (while speaking across it rather than into it) so that you are almost touching it. I'd then probably pick the console EQ and set the high pass filter to about 60Hz and do a mid frequency cut of 2-3dB at around 600Hz.

The rest is down to your performance and, if you are really after a deeper sound, you may find that vocal coaching is more effective than throwing technology at the problem. The best voiceover people are usually actors who have had years of practice at putting over a script.
James Perrett

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Capstan Full Strength?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 pm

There's always pitch correction software and without doing any tuning you could try changing (lowering) the formant parameter. You can normally do this a few steps without it sounding too artificial.

If you have any UAD processing, then their Little Labs VOG plug in can boost the low end resonance of your voice. Or there's always the original hardware https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/little-labs-vog

But very much based on the VOG principle is this free plug-in https://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/bark-of-dog/, so I'd give that a try and see if it does anything for you.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Previous