You are here

passive v active speakers for FOH

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

passive v active speakers for FOH

Postby manleyelop » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Are the any pro's & cons of using active v passive foh speakers,ive always used passive but have my eye on a pair of Electro-voice ZLX-15P 15 Inch Active PA Speakers which i could maybe use as powered monitors anyone used these speakers?
manleyelop
Regular
Re: passive v active speakers for FOH

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am

Passives :-

Lighter (but often not much)
Only one cable
probably 'showerproof'

Active/Powered :-

Cheaper
Built in speaker protection
Amps and speaker drivers well matched
Redundancy (if one fails you can still get the gig done)

EV are usually good but the ZLX is the cheap range.
15" speakers often don't sound good for vocals, 10" or 12" are usually better.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby manleyelop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
EV are usually good but the ZLX is the cheap range.

so these are cheap speakers by Ev?

are they any good ?
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:02 am

I bought an EV ZX1 sub which I think may be the same range as the ELX and didn't like it so sold it on. A good few years ago in 2013 I A/B'd a Dynacord A12 (basically a re-badged EV ELX IIRC), QSC K12 and Yamaha DXR12s and the Dynacord was the one I liked least.

Text from my assessment :-

Conclusions, Alto TS112A is fantastic value at £250, decent sounding and pretty loud. Dynachord A112, meh (no better and twice the price). The Yamaha DXR112 is significantly better (especially the top end, detailed and clear) at £530. The Yamaha DSR112 is better again (the top end is incredibly detailed and a lot better even than the DXR) but is £860. The RCS Art 412 is meh, (softer slightly less detailed than the DSR112). The Mackie SRM450 sounds slightly distorted at all levels in this company, The RCF ART 722 very good but £1100 and I still preferred the Yamaha DSR112 over it. My favourite is the QSC K12, smoother and more accurate sounding than the Yamahas (my previous favourites) they sound the most natural of all the boxes I have listened to (they make even the DSR112 sound slightly nasal) and at £750 are only moderately silly money so I'm just negotiating a price on an ex-demo pair.

I bought the K12s and 3 DXR10s for monitors.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby manleyelop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:19 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I bought an EV ZX1 sub which I think may be the same range as the ELX and didn't like it so sold it on. A good few years ago in 2013 I A/B'd a Dynacord A12 (basically a re-badged EV ELX IIRC), QSC K12 and Yamaha DXR12s and the Dynacord was the one I liked least.

Ok cool i reckon i won't bother with the ev's then im looking for some decent tops for multiple purposes one to use in my rehearsal room that clients use (i have a pair of LD Stingers they sound sweet i like the sound but clients who don't know what they are doing keep blowing the compression drivers now and again costing me money) Yamaha speakers seem to be a lot tougher than these.
& two to use as stage monitors when i do live gigs must admit i like the yamaha DXR12's not cheap though.Im on a budget so trying to make use of gear i have here

The Yamaha DXR-12 are active correct?
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am

DXR12's are indeed active/powered, I use DXR10s for monitors and occasionally for FOH, they are excellent and come with a 7 year warrantee (subject to registering). They are definitely a cut or two above your LDs and will usually look after their drivers. TBF if the 'clients' try hard enough they could still probably manage to blow them up :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby manleyelop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 am

Sam Spoons wrote:DXR12's are indeed active/powered, I use DXR10s for monitors and occasionally for FOH, they are excellent and come with a 7 year warrantee (subject to registering). They are definitely a cut or two above your LDs and will usually look after their drivers. TBF if the 'clients' try hard enough they could still probably manage to blow them up :headbang:

They have blown the LD speakers up twice now :thumbdown: but then they don't pay for the gear

do you reckon i could use the DXR12's for stage monitors?

What do you reckon to the LD Stingers?
manleyelop
Regular

Postby manleyelop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:15 pm

What do you reckon to Yamaha DZR12 would they do the job seen a used pair
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 pm

DXR12s make excellent monitors :thumbup: DZR is the budget range and not as good as the DXRs..
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby manleyelop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:50 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:DXR12s make excellent monitors :thumbup: DZR is the budget range and not as good as the DXRs..

Are you sure the Yamaha DZR12 12'' Active PA Speaker are more expensive
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:22 pm

DZR are the new flagship range Yamaha FOH speakers. Sam was thinking of the DBRs.

Haven't seen any proper reviews of them, they are still pretty new. On paper they are great and really loud.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby manleyelop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:57 pm

:thumbup: :clap:
Wonks wrote:DZR are the new flagship range Yamaha FOH speakers. Sam was thinking of the DBRs.

Haven't seen any proper reviews of them, they are still pretty new. On paper they are great and really loud.
Hi wonks
I haven't i was enquiring about some DRX12 & they mentioned they had some DZR12 as B stock but they may still be over budget for me
im wanting something for my rehearsal space & to use as stage monitors
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 am

Wonks wrote:DZR are the new flagship range Yamaha FOH speakers. Sam was thinking of the DBRs.

Yup, sorry my mistake. If you can afford the DZRs they look seriously impressive on paper (an almost unbelievable 139dB SPL for the DZR12).

Probably overkill for your needs TBH, too posh for the rehearsal room and louder than necessary for monitors (you'll hit the gain before feedback limit well before they are approaching that 139dB SPL).

Cheap and robust for the rehearsal room I'd have said. Monitors need to be loud enough and light and compact.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:20 pm

If you're on a budget then I'd seriously consider the new Alto 300 series. Seriously loud for the money if you have a graphic to tame them a little. I used a couple on an install recently and I didn't feel bad about hitting the budget for once.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby manleyelop » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:

Yup, sorry my mistake. If you can afford the DZRs they look seriously impressive on paper (an almost unbelievable 139dB SPL for the DZR12).

Probably overkill for your needs TBH, too posh for the rehearsal room and louder than necessary for monitors (you'll hit the gain before feedback limit well before they are approaching that 139dB SPL).

What do you reckon to the DRX12 for p.a im thinking i could use them for the rehearsal room plus live stage monitors ?
it's more than im wanting to spend but i need some speakers plus some live stage monitors so something multipurpose
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:50 am

My DXR10s are great. I mostly use them for stage monitors but they are good for FOH too (and occasionally get used in that role). The 12"s will be excellent too I'm sure.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby manleyelop » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 am

Sam Spoons wrote:My DXR10s are great. I mostly use them for stage monitors but they are good for FOH too (and occasionally get used in that role). The 12"s will be excellent too I'm sure.
OK great ive never heard them you see,i have a very old pair of S115v here had them for ages a pair of LD Stingers but need something for dual role purposes like i mentioned.i use EV Tour x 1152 tops for my p.a but wouldn't use them in my rehearsal room lol
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:11 pm

I might be inclined to devise some tweeter protection and leave the LDs in the rehearsal room. I used 'polyfuses' in a pair of passives a few years ago they go OC if asked to carry too much current but reset when they cool down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby manleyelop » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:35 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I might be inclined to devise some tweeter protection and leave the LDs in the rehearsal room. I used 'polyfuses' in a pair of passives a few years ago they go OC if asked to carry too much current but reset when they cool down.

[url=http s://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse[/url]
Just had another band in today & it looks like they have blown the tweeter at one side again so what's the solution to stop this happening it's costing me a fortune in repairs
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:12 pm

When you replace the tweeter put a suitably rated 'poly fuse' in series. I can't remember what I used but it would depend on the impedance of the tweeter drivers and their power handling......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next