You are here

Amp recommend for id24

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Amp recommend for id24

Postby gsc1ugs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:41 am

Hi again, the saga continues, i can get my hands on a pair of these id24 by nexo, i would like to ask, what amp (smaller better) could i use instead of nexo’s brand which is monster priced. I also was thinking of using the dxr15’s on the floor and using these has satellite’s, do you think the sound would be fatter and richer in this setup?

gsc1ugs
Regular

Re: Amp recommend for id24

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:08 am

I think you'd be over complicating things.
You're far more likely to run into problems than improvements I reckon.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 am

I had not heard of those speakers and SOS do not seem to have ever reviewed them but I note they are 16 Ohms impedance? This means the minimum suggested amplifier power of 200W must be about doubled because many amps are specified into 8R and at the "budget" end of the market, 4 Ohms because it makes the spec' look good.

I shall also take their "100dB SPL/W/mtr" sensitivity for such a compact speaker with a pinch of salt! If you have heard these units working and can get them at a good price, maybe a good buy. Note as well the caveat in the .pdf spec that you really must use their "controller" (eq?) to get correct operation and it seems speaker protection.

There are many top chaps here at SOS forum with vast, up to date experience in sound systems, I would wait for them to weigh in?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:02 am

Thanks for that, not sure im complicating things, its an amp and another pair of speakers, i have heard them they where very good FOH for the size, the main reason i ask is the controller, mercury av said you can use any amp that will suit the speaker but for protection not to over load, i think thats a common sense approach. I can get a pair fo these for £450 so i think its a bargain
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 am

I don't know this particular speaker, but have used many systems that use a specific controller - including some of the other Nexos.

In my experience, any speaker designed to be used with a controller will sound very different (in a bad way) when used without one, and are also more easily damaged as part of the controller's job is protection.

I'd suggest you run it as Nexo intended, or you'll be disappointed.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:37 am

Can you first explain by what you mean by 'on the floor' and 'satellites'? Presumably you mean FOH speakers (on stands) and front of stage infills?

Are you getting any subs yet? Because until you do, there is very little point in thinking about getting infills as you simply won't have a basic system big enough to cope with the sort of stages that require infills (and you'll need a stage that's high enough to be at seated head height or greater or there will be no point using them).

Their frequency rating only goes down to 95Hz, so won't have any significant bass and can even start to thin out a very low male voice. So you'll need the reinforcement from subs to make these speakers work properly.

As ef37a has pointed out, they have a 16ohm rating, which indicates that they are at really designed to be used in parallel in sets of two of four to give 8 or 4 ohms load. And Nexo state they need the controller to sound good (and presumably reach the specified frequency range).

If you can't afford Nexo prices for the complete system, then I'd leave Nexo alone and use more powered cabs from Yamaha to match your new FOH speakers.

But please confirm just what you want to do with these speakers.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:39 am

I was just thinking that if you're running two sets of speakers that aren't designed to be run together you're risking all manner of unpleasant phase affects - for very little extra volume and I'd be surprised if you got an improvement in clarity or tone.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby gsc1ugs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:18 pm

thanks all, because the dxr15's are so boomy plenty punch, i was just after adding clarity but what your saying it they are two different animals and i should get subs for the dxr15's and set the dxr15 to FOH on the back?
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 pm

No! Both Sam and I (and the manual) have already told you that the FOH setting adds more bass and treble.

We did both suggest that 10"s and 12"s were better sized speakers to get.

However the 'boom' is mainly going to be down to what you put in to them, so turn the bass down on the mixer if it's getting a bit boomy (a lot of which may well be down to the room you are in). If it's the backing tracks you are using that are too bass heavy, then you might want to get them processed so that there's less obtrusive bass.

Get subs, set the low pass filter on the sub and the high pass filter on the tops to the same value. Leave the tops on the flat setting. You will then have a system that works to lower bass frequencies than before, but you can now control the level of bass independently.

If you still have problems with excessive boominess, then you may want to invest in a dual 1/3 octave graphic equaliser so that you can pull down the frequencies creating the 'boom'. But you keep adding to the equipment you have to carry around with you and set up and break down. Which as a one-man show, you want to minimise.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Wot the rabbit sez....... :D

I would definitely not buy the Nexo's without the controller, they will sound awful. And If the DXRs are not enough you need a much bigger system. As Wonks says bass issues are almost certainly room generated and they will be different in every room. A decent graphic eq is most likely the only way to solve them.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Blimey, you really want to spend money to make it sound just as bad, if not more so.

The ideal amp for the id24 is the Nexo NXAMP 4X4, retailing at £7,749 - ahem.

Your DXR15s aren't subs, so you're following a very unconventional, not to mention flawed, approach by using them as you suggest.

I think you need some face to face advice from someone who knows what they're talking about. If your DXRs are sounding bad, then you're most likely mixing/operating them badly. Then again, in a separate thread, you're not happy about their size. Granted, 15s are chunky, but there aren't many full range systems that are compact and sound good. Those that meet the bill aren't cheap.

You want small, loud, cheap - pick two of those and you can potentially do it. All 3 - forget it!
AlecSp
Regular

Postby mercury-av » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:17 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:Thanks for that, not sure im complicating things, its an amp and another pair of speakers, i have heard them they where very good FOH for the size, the main reason i ask is the controller, mercury av said you can use any amp that will suit the speaker but for protection not to over load, i think thats a common sense approach. I can get a pair fo these for £450 so i think its a bargain

Just to clarify our advice on this, it is possible to use non-Nexo amps with iD24 speakers if the power output is suitable, but if you do this it is also essential to use a Nexo DTD Controller for speaker protection and to optimise the sound.

The Nexo NXAMP4x1 MKII would be the integrated controller/amp normally used with iD24 speakers. The NXAMP4x4 would work fine too, as mentioned above but would be overkill!!

Ian McDonald
Mercury AV Ltd
http://www.mercury-av.com
mercury-av

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 pm

:thumbup: welcome Ian, and thanks for that much needed clarification.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound