You are here

Need the smallest subs

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Need the smallest subs

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 am

Very true indeed! :)

ANY speaker or speaker system, whether it costs £50 or £5000, will sound duff in a dodgy room unless some decent graphic EQ adjustment is in the amplification chain.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am

I have eq now will sound check today with MP3 backin and vocal
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:16 pm

My desk arrived, got enough eq for me (YAMAHA MG82X), dxr's sounded awesome, really good, if there was a lighter small top that did same i would be made up but for now these are really good.... BUT

I am still missing that thump, i must at this point tell you what i've been using for years.

DESK & AMP - SPIRIT POWERSTATION 350
TOPS - HK AUDIO 150 PASSIVE COMPACT CABS
BOTTOM - SR TECHNOLOGY 350 ACTIVE FULL RANGE CAB ON THE FLOOR

I know, its not a sub but for where i've been playing it certainly gives a thump, now soonn moving into more money, bigger places, tribute madness thing, i need to cover all bases

Thanks for listening
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:45 pm

I'd suggest buying a single 15" sub, maybe a Yamaha DXS15, A sub is not as problematical to transport as it doesn't need lifting onto a pole and usually has wheels. I can manage my EV 15" sub at 35kg or so in and out of the car and only need help if stairs are involved. Anything smaller is not going to provide much 'thump'. But as you go to bigger venues have you considered finding a decent local PA tech/company who will provide the PA and run it for you?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:Now soonn moving into more money, bigger places, tribute madness thing, i need to cover all bases
Or do you. Will you need to provide PA for the bigger places, or will they have their own?

You do sound very keen on spending all that money before you get it, and without really knowing what benefit it'll give you.
AlecSp
Regular

Previous