You are here

Midas 32 Scene Help Needed

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Midas 32 Scene Help Needed

Postby muzikguy68 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Greetings Everyone :)
I am new to this site but I am already enjoying everything it has to offer and look forward to being a frequent member.

I am a music director at a small high school and purchased a Midas 32 digital board last year for our theatrical productions. There is still a great amount of things I still need to learn about this console but I am getting better each time I use it. I have been able to assign parts, use monitors effectively and have become comfortable with the equalizer.

However, for our upcoming show, I would like to be able to use the scene selection feature. I have been online and read the manual but have had no luck in finding out how to actually program in different scenes. I am assuming this feature will allow me to advance through them as the musical progresses, turning on and off different channels and monitors as it goes. Is this correct? And if so, how do I specifically program each scene? All I have been able to find are videos showing me what the features are, but nothing specifically walking through any steps about setting each scene. If anyone can help with this or point me to a video that shows how to do this, it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!!
Rusty
muzikguy68
New here

Re: Midas 32 Scene Help Needed

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi and welcome.

I don't know the unit but normally you set up the mix how you want it (channel levels, EQ, FX inserts and sends), then there should be a scene save function, where you save it under a useful name, then go on to set up the mix for the next scene, then save that under another name.

So a scene (sometimes called a snapshot), is just a saved 'picture' of the mixer's settings at a moment in time.

Then there should also be some form of scene arrange page or menu, where you can order them, allowing you to step through them in sequence.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Luke W » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm

muzikguy68 wrote:I am assuming this feature will allow me to advance through them as the musical progresses, turning on and off different channels and monitors as it goes. Is this correct? And if so, how do I specifically program each scene?

It will indeed. As Wonks says, you work by setting the board how you would like it for a particular number (or part of) and then save that as a scene, set up for the next number, save, so on and so forth...

On the M32, if you press "View" on the Show Control section (right hand side of the console just under the Talkback/Monitor controls, then that will launch the Scenes/Cues menu. You can use the left/right buttons next to the screen to navigate across to "Scenes" page, and then one of the encoders under the screen will give you an option to save the scene to one of the slots.

Once your scenes are saved, you can scroll back to the Home page of the Show Control section, and build a Cue List to switch between scenes. This means you can fire them directly from the "Now" button on the console, rather than having to stay in the scenes view and click around in menus. This also allows you to keep the screen free for more useful features during the show.

The M32 Edit app on a laptop/computer makes programming the desk a lot easier if you have that option available.

Something thing to watch out for, is the Channel Safe and Parameter Safe menus. They let you make various parts of the console "safe" from scene changes, some things are more helpful when left out, especially with musical theatre where you may be making lots of changes along the way. This will require a bit of thinking and planning about what needs to change when you fire a scene, and what needs to stay the same.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Yup, wot they said. The scene feature on the M/X32 (I have am X32 but the firmware is identical between the Berry and Midas versions) is very powerful. Just work through your script making the changes to mutes ect. and store them as you go. Its easy to change individual scenes later if you make an error, just correct it and re-save. But inserting a cue is not possible on the desk alone, fortunately a guy on the MusicTribe (i.e. Behringer) forums, Paul Vannatto, has made a show management app which makes programming cues and so on very easy and it's open source and a fear download :- https://sourceforge.net/projects/m32x32showmanager/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:it's open source and a fear download

I'm sure Sam meant 'free'. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:38 pm

No definitely "fear" :D ........ (no not really I did mean "free")
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby muzikguy68 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! I have been able to set and save scenes which is a huge step for me. However I am having trouble on the cues. So you are saying that unless I set up the cues, the board will basically have to stay in that mode and I will have to manually load each scene? I downloaded that app on my laptop but I'm not sure how to load them on here and transfer them to the board.
Sorry to be a pain! This is really pushing the limits of my tech abilities.
muzikguy68
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 am

Connect the laptop to the desk using USB and you can transfer them or save them to a USB drive and transfer them to the desk from that. Scene files are, basically, text files.

I will try to do this later this afternoon just to make sure I'm remembering the procedure correctly.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:19 am

I think its setting up the cue list that the OP's having problems with, Sam, not saving the scenes.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:53 pm

There's an option in the Global settings to set the desk to either "Cue" mode or "Scene" mode, you want to make sure the box is ticked for Cue mode.

Without the cue list, you can only load scenes by being in the scene menu and selecting/firing them with the encoders. Building a cue list is nice and easy, it's in the show control menu, left of the scenes tab. You select a cue number, the same way as you do with the scenes, and use the encoders under the screen to load in your scenes in the appropriate column (a little drop down menu appears). Once a list is built, you can move up and down through it and fire scenes with the buttons on the show control section of the desk without the list up on the screen.

I'm not in front of a board now, but I think that's all near enough correct! :thumbup:
Luke W
Regular

Postby muzikguy68 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:48 pm

It worked!! I loaded a few of the cues and made it work without have that option on the screen.
Thank you all so much for the help!
muzikguy68
New here

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:12 pm

:thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Great stuff, glad you got it sorted.

One last thing, if you have a look right at the top of the screen, no matter what page you have open there should be a little bar that displays which cue is active, and which is currently selected to fire when you hit "Now", so you can always see whats going on without going back into the scenes page.
Luke W
Regular

Postby muzikguy68 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Hey Everyone...
Thank you all so much for your help on this! Every scene and cue is set and we are good to go. I have also figured out the safe feature and have been able to make the EQ and other functions unaffected by the scene changes. I can advance through the scenes and the EQ changes I have made remain. However, when hit last and load a previous scene, it clears all of the things I had marked safe. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
muzikguy68
New here