You are here

10" subs

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

10" subs

Postby atarimad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi chaps. I play in a loudish rock tribute. Usually we play in venues with in-house PA systems but occasionally we provide our own. It's a reasonable system (active 2K with 15" subs and 12" tops) but once in a while we get asked to play a smaller pub venue. I think we're generally happy playing off backline but would like to have a bit of extra kick somewhere. I do have a pair of Alto TS215's I could use but obviously the vocals aren't quite as good.

i have been considering a small 10" sub for these occasions, 200-300W. Any opinions?
atarimad
Regular

Re: 10" subs

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:33 pm

TBH, I'd just leave the subs behind and use just the tops in a small room. Obviously it depends on what your tops are but my QSC K12s are more than capable of adding a little kick and bass guitar in a typical pub.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 10" sub teamed with 12" or 15" tops.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby atarimad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm not sure my tops are good enough for that. I like them but you guys wouldn't :roll:

It might have to be a single sub option I suppose.
atarimad
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Single sub is a perfectly good option in smaller venues - no reason to avoid it as a solution. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:32 pm

What 10" sub are you thinking of? I'm not aware of any that I can think of, and you may just end up paying for something that really doesn't add anything to the sound. To add any reasonable 'punch' it's going to need to be reasonably loud on the SPL front with a decent low frequency extension. At least when just emphasising the kick's thump, it doesn't have to be particularly 'musical'.

And what are the small tops you were thinking of using?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby AlecSp » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Wonks wrote:What 10" sub are you thinking of? I'm not aware of any that I can think of, and you may just end up paying for something that really doesn't add anything to the sound.
I do remember chucking when asked to integrate a hire's 15" RCF sub to our house system for a club night - think they'd even paid to hire the sub.

Given that we have a reasonably potent 2 x 18" plus 1 x 15" of sub per side, it's no surprise that theirs was completely lost...

Back to the OP's request, I too would keep it at the current pair of 15" tops. If the specs are to believed (Maximum SPL@1m 130dB peak, 127dB, Frequency Response 50Hz–20kHz +/-3dB) then these tops should do a reasonable job. And, for a pub gig, what you lose in vocal clarity, you may well gain in overall "vibe".

But, assuming your 12" tops and 15" subs setup is any good (you didn't mention what it was), why not just deploy that with a single sub? It's daft to build up inventory of every possible speaker combination, when you have stuff that can be made to scale up/down.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby atarimad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Ok then, the tops I use are a pair of Behringer B912Neo. It was a pair of B212 actives, which I thought were great for the price, but they're relegated to floor monitor duties.

Cat's out of the bag! :-)

The tops are normally paired with Wharfedale 15" active subs. Reading the replies I'll probably just take the whole rig.

It was the logistics of carrying everything really. I'll just have to get the singer to pop round with his van.

Thanks chaps.
atarimad
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 pm

A single sub will work fine, it's all I use even on fairly big gigs (though we aren't particularly loud and often get complimented on that fact). Save the cost of a small sub to put towards upgraded tops in the future. Budget/mid range stuff is getting better all the time.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Just take the one sub to the pub.

If nothing else, it'll be easier to fit in the (typically tight) venue...
AlecSp
Regular

Postby JesseWeiss » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm

atarimad wrote:Ok then, the tops I use are a pair of Behringer B912Neo. It was a pair of B212 actives, which I thought were great for the price, but they're relegated to floor monitor duties.

Cat's out of the bag! :-)

The tops are normally paired with Wharfedale 15" active subs. Reading the replies I'll probably just take the whole rig.

It was the logistics of carrying everything really. I'll just have to get the singer to pop round with his van.

Thanks chaps.
Many people start with stuff like that so don't sweat it.

I will say that getting better 12" mains might be the better place to start.

Years ago we upgraded from B stuff to Mackie SRM (which I'm now upgrading from again) and it was a huge improvement in sound quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JesseWeiss
New here

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Another trick is to emphasise the click of the kick drum rather than the low end thump. Your ears tend to fill in the rest so it still sounds like a kick drum but places less stress on the speakers.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page