You are here

Bose s1 Pro jamming on stand

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Bose s1 Pro jamming on stand

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi all. I've just bought a pair of speaker stands to use (among other things) with my Bose S1 Pro. The stands are the Proel FRE180Kit type.The Bose goes on the stands, no problem, but it's a real fight to get it off the stands again. I have to turn speaker and stand upside down and twist (hard) to get it out.

Looking in the socket on the Bose I can see a micro switch which I presume is used by the variable EQ system so I'm very reluctant to try anything in the socket. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do with the stands?

TIA,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: Bose s1 Pro jamming on stand

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Stands come in two different sizes, 35mm and 36mm, my QSC's have 36mm sockets and my stands 35mm poles (should've gone to Specsavers :shock: ). There will be some clearance so could your stands be nominally 36mm and your sockets a nominal 35mm?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Those Proel stands are advertised as 35mm...

CC: I've used numerous stand/speaker combinations over the years and have frequently had to resort to similar tactics.

I think the manufacturing of stands and speaker 'top-hats' is far from a precise engineering exercise... :(
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Those Proel stands are advertised as 35mm...

CC: I've used numerous stand/speaker combinations over the years and have frequently had to resort to similar tactics.

I think the manufacturing of stands and speaker 'top-hats' is far from a precise engineering exercise... :(

I don't doubt that for one minute :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 pm

CC I did have a moment's panic when I read your thread title, feeling imminent redundancy looming but thankfully I read the post before I got too depressed. These new speakers are bloody clever but thankfully are still the servants not the masters...... :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:01 pm

Oh and it is probably not practical to sand down the poles, they will be pretty thin to start with, I have tried silicone spray which has little effect as the issue is an interference fit, and, on non-PA related but similar engineering, I have tried sanding the sockets a little but the plastic just furs up and remain as recalcitrant as ever (and you wouldn't want to mess up the moulded in sockets). So the only thing I could suggest is new stands :(
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:CC: I've used numerous stand/speaker combinations over the years and have frequently had to resort to similar tactics.

Depressing.

Sam Spoons wrote:Oh and it is probably not practical to sand down the poles, they will be pretty thin to start with

Even more depressing.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 pm

PITA, I'm considering a couple of S1s too, will check carefully if they fit my stands then......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:41 am

I would do that. As I say there's a small micro switch inside and if you tampered with the socket you'd most likely bugger that so checking first is a good idea. Cracking bit of kit otherwise.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:08 am

Well I've decided to try thinning down one of the stands. I've got a Dremel tool which should allow me to do so with a bit of control. Got to be worth a try.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:18 am

Would wax (candle or the Ferrule wax you get for fishing rods) help?
wireman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:19 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Well I've decided to try thinning down one of the stands. I've got a Dremel tool which should allow me to do so with a bit of control. Got to be worth a try.

CC

You'd be safer doing it with a strip of emery cloth if you want to get an even reduction.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 am

I bought a Bose S1 Pro in January, & go out every week with it, but so far I've only used it on the floor or sitting on top of someone else's amp/cabinet - so I'll be watching this thread with great interest!

Personally I'd have preferred a manual 3 or 4 way switch for the EQ options, rather than all this clever internal switching (which is no doubt based on unicorns & magic smoke).

One other annoying niggle I've found with the S1 Pro is that the (stupidly expensive) Bose backpack (which I also bought) doesn't protect the controls fully - making it easy to knock them out of position, including the power switch. Couple of times I've taken it out the backpack to find it's already switched on - which could be disastrous if it's been on for sometime & there's no power available where you are. The Bose Tonematch mixers appear to have a magnetic cover plate that protects the controls - shame they didn't do this for the S1 Pro.

Apart from these niggles it is, as CC says, an amazing piece of kit, with a sound quality & volume that belies its size.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 am

wireman wrote:Would wax (candle or the Ferrule wax you get for fishing rods) help?

As I said earlier there's a micro switch inside the "top hat". That's why I'd decided to avoid grease or wax, for fear of gungeing it up and stopping it working. It looks quite small and delicate.

Rob Kirkwood wrote:rather than all this clever internal switching (which is no doubt based on unicorns & magic smoke).

If it had been it would have been easier. Instead it's based on micro switches ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pm

The micro-switch only detects whether it's been mounted on a pole or not. The orientation sensing is done with an orientation sensor (or accelerometer) in the same way as a mobile phone etc. No unicorns are harmed in the construction or use of an S1 PRo.

I borrowed a friend's 35mm speaker stand to use with my own S1 PRo and had no jamming problems... but I can't remember the brand of stand used. I'll check and report back.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 pm

That would be worthwhile knowledge, thanks Hugh, in case my post thinning activities come to naught. I'm hoping not because although the post gets right royally stuck it fits in easily enough, leading me to think it's only a little too large. Size does matter, eh?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Managed to find a piece of plastic tube that was exactly 35mm outside diameter, so took a look at the socket on my S1 Pro...

The socket actually tapers very slightly - at the open end it's about 35.7mm, & at the far end it's less than 35mm so the plastic tube jams before seating fully into the socket. The actual end of the tripod socket is flat, but the join between the socket walls & end is also rounded slightly, so maybe there are stands with a slight taper or those which are slightly rounded at the pointy end that might fit better?

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:17 pm

That's really useful stuff, many thanks for that. I'll check mine but I would fully expect it to be the same as yours. It explains why the stand slides in easily but then gets jammed lower down and also why it gets so thoroughly jammed so quickly. I can also use the info to guide my thinning efforts. Excellent!

Thinks: I could try some small object the size and shape of dice on top of the stand just to hold it clear of the narrowest section. That would be easy to try. Have to wait until tomorrow now as I'm going out to play :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Could make a tapered plug and seat it in a wider bit of tube that fits over the 35mm pipe?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm

The idea of the tapered socket is to stop the pole going in too far and damaging the microswitch. So if you make a tapered end, make sure that it doesn't go in any further than a straight pole would do.

Stupid place to put a microswitch IMO. Needs an immediate design change to remove it, place a switch somewhere else and fit a standard top-hat fitting.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Next