You are here

lighting question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

lighting question

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:38 pm

I have the KAM PAR WFS KIT, one lamp works when you turn it on and flashes once but all the other lamps dont work when this dodgy lamp is plugged in, i've pulled it apart and cant see and damage, if i unplug it the other 3 lights works as they should, any ideas apart from its broke... :headbang:
gsc1ugs
Regular

Re: lighting question

Postby AlecSp » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:46 am

You really don't know how to help yourself when asking a question, do you?

Was it previously working, or has it never worked?
Have you read the manual, and are you following the instructions within?
If, after reading the manual, it still won't work, then it's not unreasonable to assume it's broken.

Of course, you might have more luck asking about lights in a lighting forum rather than a live sound one...
AlecSp
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:04 am

I cannot find a lighting category?
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:28 pm

There isn't one. This is a music recording technology forum. Some members will have experience of lighting systems and may offer advice on a goodwill basis.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Have you tried resetting the system?https://www.getinthemix.com/c/download.php?id=460&group=1
Hopefully you didn’t unplug the light while still powered, something mentioned as a ‘do not’.
Have you swapped the lights around to see if it’s the light or the channel that’s faulty?
MOF
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:27 pm

No i will try that
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:03 pm

How did you get on? I read later that it's best to have a terminating resistor at the end of the light chain.
I've been looking into getting a DMX lighting system and will do so fairly soon. I was amazed at how reasonably priced a basic system can be and some of the controllers, such as the Chauvet Obey 70, can be controlled by midi - useful for creating a repeatable lighting set-up in synch' with a backing track on the computer.
MOF
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:26 pm

I still use a mic lead, no problems but i do want extend
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:52 am

If you are running DMX on a mic lead & want to extend it, just add another. It will almost certainly work in the real world. By modern standards DMX is very slow and basic, so it takes a lot to upset it.

That said, using a proper DMX data cable & fitting a terminator to the last lamp in the line will make it just that little bit more "robust". But unless you've a very large system and 100s of meters of cable, you'll probably never notice the difference.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:36 pm

MarkPAman wrote:If you are running DMX on a mic lead & want to extend it, just add another. It will almost certainly work in the real world. By modern standards DMX is very slow and basic, so it takes a lot to upset it.

That said, using a proper DMX data cable & fitting a terminator to the last lamp in the line will make it just that little bit more "robust". But unless you've a very large system and 100s of meters of cable, you'll probably never notice the difference.

Yup!

I aim always to use a terminator even in the simplest of lighting rigs, but sometimes it gets overlooked. Only once has it made a difference resulting in me scrabbling in the 'bits box' to find it - and that was with a fairly complex rig with a run of over 75 metres.

DMX multi-light set-up with different fades/colours etc is not difficult to set up, but it does need some time following the instructions provided with the lights so that channels are set correctly. Once that's understood it's relatively quick and simple. But there are no short cuts; you have to understand the facilities available to you with each light and how to activate them and set channel numbers. The good news is that if you're using the same config for every show then after your initial set-up each light will start up with the set-up already loaded - ie no more config necessary.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster