You are here

Amateur help needed

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Amateur help needed

Postby mikehasdrums » Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi all. I'm putting on some gigs at my venue. I have a Behringer PPA2000BT PA and separate 500w Behringer Active Sub – a set up I normally use for our outdoor cinema which works great. But for live music, there's no monitor out for on-stage vocals (I'm a player, not an engineer). Question is, can I use the stereo recording out to run to an active monitor if I buy or borrow one?

Here's a link to my PA.
https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/speaker-sets ... gLDSPD_BwE

Appreciate your advice!
mikehasdrums

Re: Amateur help needed

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 pm

It should work in terms of giving you another out I think (I've not had a read of the manual - obviously I'd recommend you do that first! :) ), but what you won't be able to is tailor that feed at all. Your on-stage sound will be the same as the front of house, so the singer won't be able to get that 'more me' option.
Might be worth seeing if you can borrow/buy a small mixer as well as a monitor?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby mikehasdrums » Sun May 19, 2019 10:28 am

Good stuff, thanks for this. I hadn't thought about the whole FOH mix coming back through the monitor – there'll only be a bit of bass drum and snare, but it might not suit the singer. Might have a rethink!
mikehasdrums

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 19, 2019 10:50 pm

A cheap 'more me' mic stand monitor would be the simplest answer for a single vocalist. Behringer, Mackie and others do them. Berry is amongst the cheapest (B205B at around £100) but I have three TC VoiceSolos, they are excellent, versatile little boxes but cost about £250 each..
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 20, 2019 9:13 am

Sam Spoons wrote:A cheap 'more me' mic stand monitor would be the simplest answer for a single vocalist. Behringer, Mackie and others do them. Berry is amongst the cheapest (B205B at around £100) but I have three TC VoiceSolos, they are excellent, versatile little boxes but cost about £250 each..

... and this one's currently 'on offer': https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones-and-Speakers/Stage-Monitors/Studiospares-PM150-Personal-Monitoring-System_250270.htm

but still not as cheap as the Behringer...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby mikehasdrums » Mon May 20, 2019 10:46 am

Thanks Sam & Mike – those are really neat, haven't seen them before, thanks.

So the vocal mic runs straight into the monitor, then through to the PA meaning I don't need to worry about the lack of PA outputs... right?

Cheers everyone – much appreciated.
mikehasdrums