You are here

Sennheiser IE40

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Sennheiser IE40

Postby The Elf » Wed May 22, 2019 6:35 pm

I saw on the SOS news ticker that Sennheiser had released their new IE400 and IE500 IEMs. One search lead to another and, although I wasn't prepared to pay the price of these new models, I noticed that Sennheiser already had a cheaper alternative in the IE40 Pro. Based on their spec, design and price, I felt they were worth a try.

As a keyboardist my needs for IEMs are modest, but I've never been happy with the sound or the fit of the cheap buds that are supplied with the bundled systems I've tried. The buds that came with my Sennheiser EW300 system are not bad, compared to others I've tried, but to get a decent sound I have to jam them so deeply into my ears that I've been concerned I wasn't going to get them back out in one piece! Custom moulds seem overkill for my needs, so I'd resigned myself to things as they are - not perfect, but 'OK'.

These IE40s are a revelation. They FIT! In fact they fall into place as if they were made for me. The bass is great, maybe largely as a result of the good fit, and they feel comfortable.

I took them up to the last rehearsal and showed them around. One of the other players has refused to use his IEM system to date, since he couldn't get any ear buds to fit well, and he was getting a harsh, bass-shy sound. After a brief faff getting them into place, 30 seconds later he didn't want to give them back - I've ordered myself another pair! :lol:

The next gig is on 1st of June, so let's see how they work out in the heat of battle - assuming I get mine in time, of course!

Is anyone else using these IEMs? I'd be interested to hear how others feel about them.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Sennheiser IE40

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 pm

For IEMs fit is absolutely critical, even the slightest loss of seal will result in no bass whatsoever. I bought my custom moulds on the strength of me custom moulded ear plugs, which were fantastic, but regret not going for full cochlear moulds as I never did get a fully reliable seal (I obviously have unusually mobile ears......). The makers were happy to remake my moulds and adjust them 'till they fitted well but other circumstances resulted in my never quite getting there.

Plugs don't need the perfect seal in the same way IEMs do, if you get a little leakage in ear plugs it just alters the balance a little but with IEMs it completely ruins the bass response.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:40 pm

The Elf wrote:
The next gig is on 1st of June, so let's see how they work out in the heat of battle - assuming I get mine in time, of course!

Did you manage to try them?

I'm using my old ACS moulds at every gig and rehearsal and there's no way that I'm going back to floor monitors. I've got a birthday coming up and I was looking at something sub £100 as a backup.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:05 pm

I can confirm that they performed perfectly. Would that I could say the same of myself! I'd already become a convert to IEMs, albeit I wasn't completely happy with the buds I was using. Now I'm a born-again IEM-er!

As soon as the gig started I completely forget I was wearing in-ears and just got on with the job. Short of custom moulds I can't imagine wanting better, TBH.

I need a backup pair for myself now. I'm very curious as to how much better the IE400/500s may be, but for the difference in price I don't believe I'll find out.

Place wedge monitors in Room 101 alongside tape recorders, pagers, Tarantino movies and my last boss - none of which I want to see again...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks for the update. Could I ask what the line up is (and do you have what would be considered a 'loud' stage volume)?

I'm playing in a 4 piece - 2 guitars, bass and acoustic kit. The ACS's give me good isolation on a loud stage.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:02 pm

We're four keyboard players, so I have pretty much complete control of what I'm hearing, short of bleed from FOH and the wedges supplied for two of the other players.

You'd probably consider the on-stage levels as very low by the standards of a band.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:43 pm

The Elf wrote:You'd probably consider the on-stage levels as very low by the standards of a band.
No drummer then?! :bouncy:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 pm

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:You'd probably consider the on-stage levels as very low by the standards of a band.
No drummer then?! :bouncy:
I feel strangely blessed! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster