You are here

PA speakers for country vocalist that double for karaoke house party?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

PA speakers for country vocalist that double for karaoke house party?

Postby DrInnominate » Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Gents,

My apologies if the mere mention of, “karaoke”, is some sort of anathema here. I’ll try to keep this brief, but after reading through this forum for several hours, I’m still not certain of what to get.

Some background to help. I lived in Hawaii for 5 years, where I did my internship, residency, and fellowship. I was dragged out to do karaoke — which is huge in Hawaii — for the first time during intern year. After sufficient inebriation I gave it a shot and the whole place stopped to listen. Evidently I have a, “great voice”, which is consistently the feedback I get. I guess it’s the timbre? Anyways, I was encouraged by many to include actual recording artists to do more with it. So here I am. I won’t be giving up my day job but eventually would like to continue recording at home and playing gigs on the side just for fun.

So here I am. I’ve been accumulating equipment for about 4 years now. I started with a VocoPro Hero-Rec unit which I now realize is a piece of crap. I have since expanded to what’s listed below. Unfortunately, other than studio monitors the only PA I have is the VocoPro. Which sounds like garbage, especially with my voice being what I assume to be a baritone. My speaking voice hangs out around 98 Hz / G2 with a range of E2-C3. Interestingly, my singing voice looks to consistently be comfortable between C3-E4; meaning good and performance without using any actual techniques that I likely know nothing about. I do mostly country which I’ve been told my voice was made for (Randy Travis, Chris Young, Josh Turner are closest artists vocally) but can also do some Michael BUble And even some rock.

I have no idea if any of that really matters but I find it interesting. I still enjoy karaoke and have a party coming up next week. It’s at a large home of a colleague, indoor, and 25-50 people. I have the below equipment to use as needed for the setup and will be running tracks from a PC/iPad. Probably PC since video output is needed. I want something that will work well for me (they’ve never heard me live but have heard recordings and were shocked) and others that I can also use in the future for live performances. And more karaoke parties.

Based on everything I’ve read on here so far, I’m leaning towards a Bose S1 or L1 Compact. I’m also open to other options at a lower price point for now, as I’m not sure I want to drop almost $1k on something that is about to moved 500 miles to another state.

Thanks, and sorry for the rambling. The coffee hasn’t quite kicked in yet.

Current Equipment

VocoPro Hero-Rec Unit (like I said, sounds like crap)
Yamaha MG10XU
Voicelive Play (I’m actually not that impressed with this thing, but I haven’t used it much.)
TC Helicon VoiceTone C1 (I got this so the more reluctant guests would be more willing)
Shure SM58
Shure SM57
PreSonus Eris 4.5 (meh monitors, but wouldn’t use these for live perf / karaoke anyways)

I also could do with another mic or two, but I’m not getting into that. The setup I would like to have would be to have a primary mic running through one of the two vocal processors and the other 2-3 without. As an aside, should I run the mic to the VoiceLive/VoiceTone and then run that to the mixer, or should the mic run to the mixer first, the processor, and then back to the mixer? Or does this not make any damn sense?
DrInnominate

Re: PA speakers for country vocalist that double for karaoke house party?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 25, 2019 4:40 pm

Budget around $1000 then? Your mixer should do the job fine and has fx built in so I'd be inclined to keep it simple for now and leave the TC boxes in the cupboard but if you do choose to use them they are designed to go between the mic and the mixer (I have had various TC VoiceLives over the years and, generally, have though them pretty good).

I'm in the UK so don't know prices on the US but, realistically, you'll need three speakers for gigs, two 'front of house' speakers as the main PA and a monitor so you can hear the track and your own voice. That sort of rules out my usual suggestion of Yamaha DXR10s as they are £500 each in the UK (so maybe $500). Either of those Bose systems would do the job too, in a different way and they are super portable and excellent sounding but not as loud as the Yamaha's.

WRT Karaoke, a good singer singing to backing tracks as a performance is perfectly valid, not everybody can front a band (though I do prefer live music to be based around live instruments). What you are doing yourself is not really Karaoke (which conjures up drunk Brittanyalikes singing "... Baby One More Time" badly) but a performance to backing tracks. If you enjoy doing it carry on :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........