You are here

quart into pint pot; possible or not

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

quart into pint pot; possible or not

Postby hooty2 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:59 am

Greetings all.
I'm trying to choose my words carefully so as not to be lambasted for basic ignorance of physics.

I returned home last night after leaving another gig early due to the sound quality.
Actually not the band that was on, which was good in the areas i'm ranting about below, but the dj set that preceded the band.

And this is a regular feature of my going out to DJ sets locally, hopefully to dance to big bass line Reggae. Good bass lines, bass lines that sound like music!
And at a volume that belies my 60 years.
Lovers Rock, dub, bring them on...but let me hear and feel the bass lines with finesse and volume.
but...
Not volume that makes the whole show sound like demolition and industrial jack hammers, where the bass sounds like a one note explosion that distorts the very fabric of the building and leaving the impression that no other frequencies exist...no complementary sense of rhythm between the components of the tune....

Is there an answer?
Is it equipment limitations, operator skills?
Is there a way to get that big sound in small to medium venues?

Is there a good engineering way to take my L-acoustics SB118's/115B's & 115a tops into a pub, club, hall and play my beloved Reggae at a level that meets my criteria and that of the general people who also desire loudness but seem not to mind the lack of musicality on offer?
I begin to think it's a purely tribal and primal experience that is catching the audience attention as they groove to the monotone pulse and not the music as such.

I was looking for the forum that deals with "any other business"....but maybe this one is ok.

I appreciate i may be putting my own ignorance on show here, but too many early nights to watch luther for the umpteenth time is not good for an aged mans health.
Rant over!
hooty2
Regular

Re: quart into pint pot; possible or not

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 26, 2019 10:24 am

In a small (ish, typical pub/club) room the limiting factor will be the room itself. More knowledgable people will be along soon but my experience is that the bass will, inevitably, be variable according to the position of the subs and where in the room you stand. As you surmise it's basic physics. There is no simple way to arrive at the best position for the subs other than experiment so be prepared to move them around the stage area and walk the room to listen until you get the most even sound.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby djangodeadman » Thu May 30, 2019 2:13 pm

In my experience, there are some DJ's who have a tendency to not only play at volumes that take no account of the context (ie the size of the room, the nature of the event and audience), but also to crank the bass up to sometimes ridiculous levels.

It's interesting that you say the band sounded ok, suggesting that there was no great issue withe the PA or venue, rather that the DJ in question may have fallen into one or both of the traps I have described.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Thu May 30, 2019 2:41 pm

djangodeadman wrote:It's interesting that you say the band sounded ok, suggesting that there was no great issue withe the PA or venue, rather that the DJ in question may have fallen into one or both of the traps I have described.
Indeed, the bane of my life are DJs with crappy, unreliable equipement who believe it's appropriate to be hugely louder than the band they're on before/after.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 30, 2019 5:20 pm

AlecSp wrote:Indeed, the bane of my life are DJs with crappy, unreliable equipement who believe it's their sole purpose in life to be hugely louder than the band they're on before/after.

FTFY :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Watchmaker » Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm

"DJ" - in a radio setting the term means disc jockey, while in a club it means damned joker.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby djangodeadman » Thu May 30, 2019 7:06 pm

AlecSp wrote:
djangodeadman wrote:It's interesting that you say the band sounded ok, suggesting that there was no great issue withe the PA or venue, rather that the DJ in question may have fallen into one or both of the traps I have described.
Indeed, the bane of my life are DJs with crappy, unreliable equipement who believe it's appropriate to be hugely louder than the band they're on before/after.

Indeed so. It's obviously different when the DJ is the main event, but not when they are basically filler.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby djangodeadman » Thu May 30, 2019 7:19 pm

Our local pub quite often has DJs on. The good ones play great music, at levels which take account of the fact that, while many people want to dance, some also want to talk to their mates. The bad ones play great music, but think it's all about them and really don't care if the pub gets a noise abatement order slapped on it.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Mike Monte » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:51 pm

AlecSp wrote:

These days bands (with DJ's during the breaks) are common around here.

The DJ volume issue arises when the DJ is separate (not part of or contracted by) from the band, thus it's "his turn" to put on a show. If the DJ is a band member (or hired by the band) he will not be louder than the band.

I have experienced many a club night's band performance tarnished by an over-zealous DJ. Volume = energy to most common folk.

As a local sound provider I realize that it is way-easy to make DJ music (which is already compressed, balanced, etc. in the studio) louder than a live band's performance.

It's easy for a DJ to play w-a-y too loud, that's why most do so.
Mike Monte
Poster

Postby AlecSp » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Mike Monte wrote:It's easy for a DJ to play w-a-y too loud, that's why most do so.
I have learnt to set a compressor on infinity with a very slow release, along with locking the desk, especially if I'm going to be away at all.
AlecSp
Regular