You are here

Stage power went last night..

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Stage power went last night..

Postby Dave B » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:38 pm

So last night's gig was at a regular venue. We've played it a few times and I'm fairly sure we weren't using any more power than usual. Halfway through the first set, {silence} .... No PA, no mixer, no keys, no monitors and no (one of the) guitar(s). It seems a fuse had tripped. Bum.

Some nice (fellow musician) punter looked at me and made a lunge for the nearest top. He explained that he'd recently had the same thing with his band and the resulting spike as the house fiddled with fuses had blown one of his. Sure enough, we did have a couple of false starts but I'd turned the main socket off at the wall until we got a steady connection on the lesser one. Digital desk and Kemper were a bit sulky that they hadn't been shut down properly, but all came back ok in the end.

All ok in the end. But do others have any good tips for when power vanishes?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Stage power went last night..

Postby The Red Bladder » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Circuit breakers wear out with age and use, esp. if they are used regularly as switches or are triggered often. Then they start to trigger at lower and lower values.

The answer is to get the venue to replace the defective breaker.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:58 pm

Dave B wrote:But do others have any good tips for when power vanishes?
Intimate solo/acoustic set from the singer/guitarist* whilst everyone else rushes round to get things fixed.

* After all, they're not going to be any help fixing the problem... ;¬)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby awjoe » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:06 pm

I was at a live concert once when the power to the stage went down. Johnny Cash was one of the performers. He simply stepped to the front of the stage with his acoustic guitar and sang a song or two until things were working again. Sang without mic or PA to a huge theatre full of people. Awesome.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby AlecSp » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:15 pm

awjoe wrote:I was at a live concert once when the power to the stage went down. Johnny Cash was one of the performers. He simply stepped to the front of the stage with his acoustic guitar and sang a song or two until things were working again. Sang without mic or PA to a huge theatre full of people. Awesome.
I remember Adele doing this at IndigO2 back in 2018 - none too shabby...
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 pm

If you can get the punters to STFU you're in with a chance (and, that's what the great performers are best at). I saw John Jorgenson and, my mate (and his), Andy Mackenzie manage it in Buxton Opera House with two Selmer Style guitars and legs dangling over the front of the stage. it is what those guitars were designed for mind you :D

The PA was fine but JJ just decided it would be fun to go unplugged for a couple of tunes.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 am

I went to a Shakatak (remember them?) gig in Torquay in the early 80s. Part way through the gig there was a nasty crack and all the mid-range disappeared from the left hand PA stack.

After a brief conversation at the end of the song between the band members and a guy in the wings dressed all in black, the bass player -- who was on a wireless link (quite advanced for the day) -- started playing an extended funk bass solo. He then proceeded to climb down the steps from the stage and started walking up and around the aisles into the audience, playing all the way.

Meanwhile, with the stage lighting now dimmed, the follow-spots trying to keep up with the bass player amidst the audience, and the audience attention definitely moved away from the stage, a small army of roadies clambered all around the left PA stack, stripped it right down, brought out a couple of replacement mid-range cabs, and completely rebuilt it all in a matter of a couple of minutes. The sound promptly came back good, bass player returns to stage, still playing, other band members reappear, and the gig carried on seamlessly. :D

It was a very impressive recovery, and I dare say half the audience had no idea what was going on! :clap:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am

Ah! You're always on safe ground if a man dressed all in black appears... :lol:

... my apparel of choice when live-sound 'working'....
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:52 pm

And a requirement for all theatre backstage ops (and don't wear those black trainers with reflective stripes either :blush: ).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby robare99 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:08 am

A UPS always gives you time to shut down your mixer properly when the power goes out.
robare99
Regular