You are here

Connecting 5 Busker PA Units to 1 Audio Output

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Connecting 5 Busker PA Units to 1 Audio Output

Postby alphaburger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi all,

I have 5 Busker PA units that I need to play audio simultaneously off a phone source.

I tried daisy chaining them through the RCA Audio IN+OUT but had no luck there.

Im gathering I would need some sort of audio mixer to output to all the speakers individually and to input the single audio source.

Not sure what would be the best set up for my requirements?

Complete noob at this stuff and would appreciate any help. Thanks.
alphaburger
New here

Re: Connecting 5 Busker PA Units to 1 Audio Output

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:44 pm

alphaburger wrote:I tried daisy chaining them through the RCA Audio IN+OUT but had no luck there.

Odd! The manual ( https://imagescdn.juno.co.uk/manual/655667-01U.pdf ) says:
Adjacent to the twin RCA input is a twin RCA line output carrying the overall main mix. This can be fed on to further active speakers or portable PA units via a twin RCA lead.

So you should be able to plug the phone into the first unit, and once that is working, take the RCA line outputs across to the second unit's RCA/Phono line inputs, and from that to the third in the same way, and so on, all using twin RCA/phono leads.

I can't see any obvious reason why that shouldn't work....

The alternative would be to connect the phone to a mixer with lots of outputs, and then connect each output to a separate separate speaker. But a mixer with 6 outputs accessible from a single channel will be quite a big mixer...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby alphaburger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Hmm well technically I didn't use RCA-RCA cable maybe that's the problem.

I tested it with 2 speakers. Bluetooth connection to the first, with RCA Out to 3.5mm Line in on the second.

This produced nothing on the second speaker. Ill try with the proper cables and come back with the results.
alphaburger
New here

Postby alphaburger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Just saw the part where it says you need twin RCA lead. That was definitely the problem.

Thanks so much!
alphaburger
New here

Postby alphaburger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:19 pm

I cant see any of my other posts for some reason.

I just got word from clients saying that they require them to be all connected wirelessly as they will be walking with the speakers.

I'm wondering if we are able to connect wireless modules that speak to each other

so like this

AUDIO IN >> speaker1 >> RCA Out >> Wireless Module - Wireless Module >> RCA In >> speaker2

I've used stuff like this for video before but not audio.
alphaburger
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:56 pm

alphaburger wrote:I cant see any of my other posts for some reason.

Your first three posts are held in a moderating queue until vetted and authorised. Since you're now on post 4 they will appear in the forums immediately.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Is cost an issue? This system https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless would get the job done but you would need power for the transmitter and several extra receivers. It may be possible to find a similar system that has a battery powered transmitter.

Bluetooth can't usually pair with multiple other devices.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Is cost an issue? This system https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless would get the job done but you would need power for the transmitter and several extra receivers. It may be possible to find a similar system that has a battery powered transmitter.

Bluetooth can't usually pair with multiple other devices.

Yup! That approach would be what I'd adopt too. There are several several systems of this type on the market... I use one by IMG.

The current draw shouldn't be huge so it should be possible to make up a battery-box syatem to power the transmitter.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby alphaburger » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks, this is amazing stuff and really helpful!

So for our setup we'd need 1xStealth Wireless and then 4x Extender kits?

If you want to bombard this thread with links to alternative products it'll be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how deep the clients pockets are.
alphaburger
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Yes, the phone would need to be wired to the transmitter or, possibly the first speaker which could drive the transmitter from it's thru/output socket.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby alphaburger » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:24 pm

Hey guys,

i found a wireless solution that doesn't cost a bomb.

There is an app called "AmpMe" that allows you to host "Parties". These parties allow each member to stream music to a bluetooth device connected to their phone.

The host of the party will be controlling the music. Theres also neat features like a chat and request a song.

Thanks for all the help.
alphaburger
New here

Postby MarkPAman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:31 pm

i found a wireless solution that doesn't cost a bomb.

Looks quite expensive to me - £8 (or maybe more) per week - and is that for each phone used? Guess if you only want to use it once that's not to bad??

Small delays will creep in with BlueTooth. Larger ones will be introduced on phone networks, or WiFi.

But if you don't mind them being a little (or even quite a lot) out of sync with each other and can afford it, that may be OK.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby alphaburger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 am

Yeah the app itself is super expensive for what it is. However there is a free 1 week trial that is perfect for our requirements.

Its probably not gonna be an issue if the music is a little out of sync, it's for the pride march in London next Saturday.

Will be testing it today to see if each user needs an account or whether they can join as guests on the hosts account.
alphaburger
New here