You are here

Help with microphones for school show.

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Help with microphones for school show.

Postby eminor » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I am using my PA to enhance a school musical evening soon. I’m fine using all my gear when I perform myself but on this occasion I am wanting to amplify a range of children performing individually on acoustic guitars, violins and speaking poetry etc. The main issue at these events is that if no amplification is used the sound is too quiet and I want to try and increase the volume to ensure the children are heard.

Am I right in thinking that a small diaphragm condenser will be good for this, assuming that I can get enough gain without feedback. I don’t want to go and purchase some equipment if it’s not going to do the job.

Any advice would be appreciated.
eminor

Re: Help with microphones for school show.

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 am

Welcome!

For this kind of event I'd be wary of using true SDCs. Mic placement during a multi-performer show can be hit or miss and the other variables mean that with SDCs, feedback could be close at hand.

I think I'd probably opt for some Rode M3s. Not expensive in the grand scheme of things and surprisingly competent. I've used them in exactly this type of situation. Hugh's assessment (now slightly out of date with regard to the switch) here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-m3
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster