You are here

Glastonbury 2019

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Glastonbury 2019

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:00 pm

OneWorld wrote:Then Nile Rogers and Chic came on, and they blew the rest away into oblivion, the audience representing generations were enchanted.

Now that I have to agree with - we recorded Chic's 2017 set at Glastonbury, and have watched it dozens of times since, sometimes simply to cheer ourselves up with their sheer professionalism and musicianship.

Stunning performance!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Martin Walker wrote:...the two acts that surprised me by ending up being played in full were:

1. The utter slickness of Janelle Monáe.

2. Despite being very wary of the latest teenage fads, I was nevertheless very impressed with Billie Eilish, whose music to my ears genuinely had a new sound and attitude, and whose performance was amazing for one so young.

For anyone who missed these performances, here's a track from each to tempt you ;)

The new sound and attitude of 17-year old Billie Eilish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWgUNsjy8-Q

The utter slickness of Janelle Monáe (Prince reincarnated?):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvR_LYAASfA

Enjoy (hopefully)!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:08 am

I liked both of those more than I thought I would.

Billie Eilish - quite a stage presence. I liked the track and I thought it was well executed, if a little minimalistic, and props for good use of pitch shifting. The drummer being behind a glass wall confused me a bit... maybe he's used to people throwing things at him? :D

Of the two, although Eilish had more of an "original" sound I preferred Janelle Monáe's act. Very dynamic, slick (as you say Martin) and certainly reminiscent of Prince. Maybe too much so, if people compare her to him on an ongoing basis unless she really establishes her own musical identity. She's certainly got some moves.

They are both a heck of a lot better than a huge amount of crud I've had to put up with from my two eldest stepdaughters in the past, though thankfully their teen years are now behind them and I've got 3 years to prepare before the next one starts that phase of her life :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Agharta » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:00 am

I was very underwhelmed by the more dance orientated acts so surprisingly it was the white boys with guitars that impressed.
Janet Jackson has either lost her voice or her microphone was broken.
Janelle Monáe continues to underwhelm after early promise.
She sounded as if her need to share her message via concepts is getting in the way of the funk.
I gave up on Kylie very early.

I don't really care about the stage craft and the visuals as I was listening mainly with iplayer on the second monitor.
The Cure impressed and his vocals were spot on. I don't need 2 hours of them though, too depressing.
Even though it's been a very underwhelming Glastonbury for me it's a shame it's only on iplayer for 4 weeks.
That's a lot of stuff to get through in that time for people wanting to catch up.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:42 am

I didn't get to see much Glastonbury this year but I have given those two a listen and neither do anything for me I'm afraid.

Billie Eilish has 'attitude' but not in a good way to me (but I am long past the teenage years that like that sort of thing) musically very competent though.

Janelle Monáe's song was (also to me) a triumph of style over content (but I was never really a Prince fan either), very polished but I couldn't get over the fact that they couldn't even get the hats to stay on :headbang:

Each to their own though and if I come across anything that does float my boat I'll fess up :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Thanks for your thoughts guys ;)

Eddy - the minimalist arrangement was what particularly impressed me about Billie Eilish. SO many young acts spice up the arrangement with a dash of everything that to me this was refreshingly sparse yet beautifully held together.

Sam - I do agree about the triumph of style over content with Janelle Monáe , but I stand by my 'slick' comment. Perhaps if we let her know about elastic before the next gig? ;)

Overall, I came away far more interested in exploring some more Bille Eilish music, and have just found 'Billie Eilish - bury a friend'. The content will be far too miserable for some folk, but I enjoyed its dark simplicity and clean arrangement- powerful stuff! 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHC9tYz8ik

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Martin Walker wrote: and have just found 'Billie Eilish - bury a friend'. The content will be far too miserable for some folk, but I enjoyed its dark simplicity and clean arrangement- powerful stuff! 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHC9tYz8ik

Martin
It probably won't surprise you that I'm a big fan of this song. :)
It'll be really interesting to see where she goes with the next album.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:29 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Overall, I came away far more interested in exploring some more Bille Eilish music...

And, of course, she is featured -- or rather, the production of one of her hit tracks is featured -- in the current edition of the magazine:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/billie-eilish
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Thanks for your thoughts guys ;)

Sam - I do agree about the triumph of style over content with Janelle Monáe , but I stand by my 'slick' comment. Perhaps if we let her know about elastic before the next gig? ;)

Martin

I do agree with 'slick' (and I did say 'very polished')

WRT hats, my wife is a dance teacher (and my sister made theatre costumes as her day job and produces some of the better South Coast amateur shows), so bits of costume falling off is an almost unforgivable sin in their world :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:Overall, I came away far more interested in exploring some more Bille Eilish music...

And, of course, she is featured -- or rather, the production of one of her hit tracks is featured -- in the current edition of the magazine:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/billie-eilish

It's ironic, but when I glanced through that SOS feature I'd never heard of Billie Eilish - now I'm going back and will scrutinise it with a fine-toothed comb ;)

Thanks for the reminder Hugh!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Korff » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Overall, I came away far more interested in exploring some more Bille Eilish music, and have just found 'Billie Eilish - bury a friend'.

You're not alone — Mike Senior raved about it in a recent Mix Review:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/mix-review-0419
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Billie Eilish - quite a stage presence. I liked the track and I thought it was well executed, if a little minimalistic, and props for good use of pitch shifting. The drummer being behind a glass wall confused me a bit... maybe he's used to people throwing things at him? :D

Just discovered the reason while reading the current SOS feature on Billie that Hugh reminded us of. Here you go:

"Billie sings so quietly that I have to go in with every vocal take we use, and crossfade into silence between every word she sings, otherwise there'd be a noise floor behind the vocal. If I ever have an assistant, I'll make him or her do that! Live this also is an issue, so we have no monitors on stage, and the drummer has plastic shields in front of him, which means that the stage is very quiet. It still is a constant war for our front of house engineer to get Billie's voice to sound loud enough, and not have feedback!"

Isn't SOS a fascinating read? ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm

:D :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:49 pm

The Korff wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:Overall, I came away far more interested in exploring some more Bille Eilish music, and have just found 'Billie Eilish - bury a friend'.

You're not alone — Mike Senior raved about it in a recent Mix Review:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/mix-review-0419

Yep, totally agree with all of what Mike says there too, particularly:

"I heard this single from 'Billie Eilish', and within five seconds the credit card was skipping from my pocket like a spring lamb! Honestly, I haven't heard such a fabulously arresting piece of new chart music for ages."

And to think that I almost didn't bother to listen to her Glastonbury performance because I'd heard she was the 'latest teenage sensation' :blush:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Matt Houghton » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:14 pm

Martin Walker wrote: 'Billie Eilish - bury a friend'.

Yep, that's the track that got me listening. Splendid sound. Slightly disturbing video, needles to say. See what I did there? :bouncy:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Panas1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:25 pm

"Billie sings so quietly that I have to go in with every vocal take we use, and crossfade into silence between every word she sings, otherwise there'd be a noise floor behind the vocal.

Newb questions: isn't that the opposite of compression and what an "expander" can do automatically? How about a noise gate? Is he doing it manually to get better results?
Panas1
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Panas1 wrote:Newb questions: isn't that the opposite of compression and what an "expander" can do automatically? How about a noise gate?

yes and yes...

Is he doing it manually to get better results?
Yes!

The problem is that an expander or noise-gate can take a certain time before they close down so making any background noise more obvious through its delayed reduction. And, similarly, they can be slow to open so clip the edges of the words, again drawing unwanted attention to the automatic processing.

Expanders and gates can be very useful, but not in all situations an I suspect that manual editing was the optimal solution in this case... even if a lot of work!
Hugh Robjohns

Previous