You are here

LD Maui 11 or Yamaha Stagepas 1k?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

LD Maui 11 or Yamaha Stagepas 1k?

Postby Magushoff » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Hi guys, i would appreciate some help&advice from you guys :D

So, I’m a musician, saxophe player. I do some small gigs on weddings, receptions, background in bars, dinners etc. I am ussually accompanied by keyboards or backing tracks, sometimes some house music to improvise over.

I’m planing to buy a column system and was almost decided to buy LD systems Maui 11 , but i just saw the Yamaha Stagepas 1k thats coming out. What do you guys think, is it worth adding some to the budget and buy yamaha? Yamaha includes a mixer with phantom and FX and bags, both I would have to buy extra with Maui. From what i have heard, Yamaha is also very trusted and reliable brand when it comes to PA.

I don't konw much about PA...so, some questions ;)
What does 119db(Yamaha) vs 124db(LD) mean. I know it's about how loud it is but does that matter for my needs?

Size of woofer-12'(yamaha) vs 3*6,5'(LD): Whats the difference?
Same goes for tweeters: 10*1,5'(Yamaha) vs 6*3'(Yamaha)

power: LD is 500W RMS/ 1000W peak, Yamaha only states 1000W - does that usually mean RMS or peak? if its RMS, why is LD than stated louder(124db) than Yamaha(119db)

Thank you in advance for the answers and opinions!

https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui-series/10898/maui-11-g2-w?c=3117
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/pa_systems/stagepas_1k/index.html
Magushoff

Re: LD Maui 11 or Yamaha Stagepas 1k?

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 am

Yamaha describe the quoted amp power on their other speakers as 'dynamic power' but are very reluctant to explain what that means. It ain't rms that's for sure though so I'd say they are equivalent power therefore the LD drivers must be more efficient. WRT SPL, LD don't mention how they measure SPL (Yamaha do to a point but don't specify what source*) and it's possible the LDs go louder but don't sound so good when pushed (the opposite may also be true) so I would go and have an extended listen to both, more than likely one or the other will grab you as best sounding.

*usually pink noise BTW
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:57 am

I used to own a pair of Maui 11's (the originals, not the G2 in your link).

They sounded ok, they were resistant to feedback and they didn't occupy as much floor space as a cab / tripod arrangement - but they were woefully underpowered for my needs. I checked the spec of the originals and, whilst the amplifier was smaller, the volume was quoted as 121dB peak, 113dB continuous. It looks as though LD have squeezed an extra 3dB out of them and are no longer quoting the, more meaningful, continuous figure.

I was playing with backing tracks and the Maui's were ok for very small pubs only. I ditched them for a pair of Yamaha DXR12s.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby DanR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm

It would be worth spending the extra on the Yamaha 1k. I know someone who runs two LD Maui G2 systems for pub gigs. Sounds good but seem to gas out quickly.
12” sub with the Yamaha plus digital mixer/FX.
Mono only obviously.

For a stereo system around the same price, a pair of Yamaha DXR10s on mini tripods (I use NJS ones) or DXR12s as mentioned would do. No mixer needed but no FX if that’s important.
DanR
Regular