You are here

Vocal microphone question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Vocal microphone question

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:18 pm

:clap:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:04 pm

Little Davie Rat often has fun things to say on subjects like this:

(A bit of framework for the discussion)

https://youtu.be/dPm0C5EKKr0

I found this Shure vid to be illuminative also:

https://youtu.be/rYWnSuAxato
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:27 pm

More DR and a handy experimental design in case anyone has the time/kit.

https://youtu.be/MvUfXxalD7Q

(This is the one I went looking for initially).
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm

AlecSp wrote:
gsc1ugs wrote:

I've heard great things of the Lewitt MTP 550...

...Sennheiser e835 is not bad, but I'd prefer to spend the extra and get the e935.

Finally had a couple of gigs which replicate the scenario described and had the chance to do a little comparing

Gig 1) busy bar, dl1608 into Yamaha dxr12, one of the dxrs is right on top of us (gtr/vox, flute [Audix om5]). I put my current first choice Senn e935 up but as the room fills up and b/g noise increases I increase our level higher than I had anticipated would be necessary. Senn is now getting a bit muddy and resonant but rather than deal with that during the break I swapped over to the Lewitt 550 (requiring a little more input gain) and with tweaking all is clear and sits well in the mix. Mids are well defined but articulation is sufficiently detailed.

Gig 2) busy bar, dl1608 into EV powered 12"s (didn't get model number, single sided wedge shape, recently installed). one speaker within 6' of the vocal mic. Playing with a piezo equipped fiddle player this time who sometimes struggles with feedback at around 600hz in this venue (wouldn't if it was a regular gig of mine). Went for the Lewitt for the first set but there is definite resonant "phasiness" around the 1khz area. loathe to pull too much out as vox will eventually disappear. Headroom is non existent even at relatively inoffensive volume levels. I swap the the Senn.

Body and detail suddenly super- present. I'm able to sit back on the mic and sing much more gently without issues. significant extra headroom.

Conclusion, Lewitt is great for shouting in a busy mix but is not particularly impressive regarding feedback rejection. Senn is fuller, more detailed but will not cut through a busy mix quite so well. responds better to eq and is worth the tweaking.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:BUT as noted, it's a compromise and requires absolute 'nasal hair trapped in the grill' technique.

Interesting! I guess it suffer from the usual issue of hypercardioids - that you must sing right in the mic front?

I use an HC mic (an old AKG D-something) and it took quite a while to learn to come back from the mic front after looking at guitar. In the last couple years I've started liking SM58s better and better live just because they make my life so much easier.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous