You are here

Output level on Mackie ProDX4

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Output level on Mackie ProDX4

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Peter H wrote:
Has it worked satisfactorily in the past? Have you updated the firmware or app since?

I've only had it a short time. Problem from first (and only) outing. As above, have tried factory reset as suggested.

I suspect its unique feature set was its downfall because it probably only met the needs of a very small number of users, as you are one of the few that is obviously good for you (as long as it works of course).

You may be right, but even in my local experience, this could be brilliant for small (jazz etc) combos - nearest equivalent is Club XS6, or much bigger digital mixer - prodx4 fits in my small bag.

Yes, I very nearly bought one (partly for the cute factor) but, in the end, I bought a Berry X-Air 12 but, as you say, it's a much larger box.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Output level on Mackie ProDX4- Problem Solved!!

Postby Peter H » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Problem solved!!! Apologies to all for my idiocy, and wasting your time - after going through all suggestions without success, it still didn't seem quite right that the unit was faulty.
I re-read the manual/specs and saw it needed 18volt power supply - checked the (3rd party) unit shipped with the mixer, which I then noted had small sliding switch on the plug side - was on 9v - changed it to 18v - Voila, nice hot output levels, and at phones.

Anyway, hope it's a reminder to any fellow idiots to always check the power supply.

Yes, I very nearly bought one (partly for the cute factor) but, in the end, I bought a Berry X-Air 12 but, as you say, it's a much larger box.

This Mackie is now a brilliant little mixer - unique single small-box solution for small combo - I also have Xair12 but this one also works "on its own knobs" at a pinch, (and Bluetooth much easier than wifi).
Peter H
Poster
Peter Houtman

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:31 pm

Ha! :thumbup:

Well, at least you've now got the nice little mixer you always wanted.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:12 pm

:clap: :thumbup: Nice one Wonks -- bang on the money!

There's a good lesson: never assume the power supply is the right one!

Glad you found the fix!

With a low input voltage the chances are that the lower power rail voltage needed for the digital elements would still work, but the DC-DC converter for the analogue electronics wouldn't. Hence only very low level on the phones or analogue outputs.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Peter H » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::clap: :thumbup: Nice one Wonks -- bang on the money!

There's a good lesson: never assume the power supply is the right one!

Glad you found the fix!

With a low input voltage the chances are that the lower power rail voltage needed for the digital elements would still work, but the DC-DC converter for the analogue electronics wouldn't. Hence only very low level on the phones or analogue outputs.

H

Thanks, yes, lesson learnt, yet again! (I've been doing this stuff for nearly half a century, "same old..")
Peter H
Poster
Peter Houtman

Postby AlecSp » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Wonks wrote:Maybe quality control problems as (at that price) they are obviously built in China.
Careful - you're sounding like an American! Show me a cheap/any mixer that isn't made in China....
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Shucks...
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Previous