You are here

Replacement for Bose 802

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Replacement for Bose 802

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:21 am

Depends how fiddly you consider 'fiddly'. On a scale of 1-10 13A plugs rate 1 and D-Subs around 9 I'd say the IEC connectors I've use rate 2-3 so not too difficult.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby NickBellows » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am

Made up iECs seem to be 5m or 10m. Either too long for us, or too short (I'd rather not have too much excessive cable lying around). It looks like I shall make some up at 7m. I can definitely get hold of the connectors.
I am not sure about the best cable to use though - how can I tell if it will lay flat?
Cheers
NickBellows
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 am

I found cable with rubber outer insulation works better than cable with PVC insulation for laying flat. Far more flexible IMO. It's al;so got a matt finish, so less reflective than most PVC cables as well.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 am

MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:24 am

I inherited a couple when I took over PA for a now defunct band but I find them heavy and difficult to coil so don't use them. Obviously YMMV. What I do use (which is also heavy and difficult to coil :oops: ) is a couple of these https://www.diy.com/departments/masterplug-5-socket-13-a-extension-lead-15-m-blue/244075_BQ.prd

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanR » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:26 am

NickBellows wrote:I am not sure about the best cable to use though

I made one up using flexible rubber 13a outdoor cable from Homebase. I think it was a 10m bundle.
You could always use male to female IEC extenders with the cables supplied with the DXRs.
I bought 3m & 5m ones online for our lights.
DanR
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:35 am

I have to agree about wiring IEC plugs/sockets.

I've recently made some IEX extension leads and wiring the plugs/sockets was a nightmare. Very fiddly and hard to get the screws to 'bite' onto the cable without simply forcing it away from the connection post. After about 40 minutes of abortive fiddling I did work out a technique.

Of course, it could be just the kit I'd bought, although the came from two different sources - one more expensive than the other, but when opened-up exactly the same inside.

I tend to use 3m IECs for my powered speakers. Enough height, but not too much and a wind-up container cable extension lead directly below. https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe01064/lead-uk-plug-to-iec-skt-10a-blk/dp/PL13311 They also have 2.5m leads...

(CPC have a vast range of IEC leads... I'm sure you find something to suit on their site. I use them a lot for all sorts of stuff. Unequivocally recommended.)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 am

DanR wrote:You could always use male to female IEC extenders....

I wouldn't recommend it. IECs are not latching connectors (although there are a couple of designs that do integrate a latch of sorts), and so there would be a very real risk of an IEC extension coming apart if someone kicks a cable, etc...

If you want to go down the extension route, I'd recommend the Neutrik True mains connectors:

These are properly latching like the Speakons, and can be joined and separated under load -- and they aren't silly money either (around £7 each)

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-leads-connectors/connectors/power-connectors/miscellaneous-mains-power-connectors?brand=neutrik&searchref=searchlookahead
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DanR » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 am

Mike Stranks wrote:I have to agree about wiring IEC plugs/sockets.

I've recently made some IEX extension leads and wiring the plugs/sockets was a nightmare. Very fiddly and hard to get the screws to 'bite' onto the cable without simply forcing it away from the connection post. After about 40 minutes of abortive fiddling I did work out a technique.

I know what you mean with those IEC plugs and sockets. I remember you have to place the bare wire so that it would grip as you tightened the screw. Often it would squeeze the cable out when tightened.
Also the cable strain relief isn’t very flexible so your lead would stick out a fair bit from the speaker socket.
DanR
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:34 am

Just in case anyone hasn't thought of this, it's best to loop the (tightly twisted) bare wire into the screw-down clamp from the left of the screw and around in a clockwise direction. That way, the action of tightening the screw will tend to pull the wire into the clamp.

If you run the wire in from the right, and anti-clockwise around the screw, the action of tightening the screw will tend to eject the wire.

... But annoyingly, depending on the diameter of the wire, the diameter of the screw, and the shape of the clamping plate, some designs have a habit of ejecting the wire no matter what you do!

H.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby AlecSp » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:45 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... But annoyingly, depending on the diameter of the wire, the diameter of the screw, and the shape of the clamping plate, some designs have a habit of ejecting the wire no matter what you do!
And that was exactly the problem I had when previously doing some IEC terminations - drove me batty!

I also seem to remember that the strain relief wasn't a very generous diameter, so it was a real struggle to get the cable through. All in all, an unpleasant experience, which left me just using pre-made cables - and there are always ample lying around.

But doesn't get away from the fact that a custom length cable with good flexible lay-flat cable is the best solution.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby NickBellows » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:04 pm

I shall try to make up my own. I have wired up a few IECs myself in the past.
What I do is to make a semi circle with the twisted wires - the diameter of the screw in the fitting. I then put a blob of solder that sticks them all together. They then all stay together when I screw it all down and the soft (cold) solder squashes a bit to hold it even firmer. It has worked for me then, and been very secure.
Fingers crossed it works this time.
NickBellows
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:24 pm

That's what I do when I CBA to 'do it properly' but usually I follow Hugh's method.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous