You are here

Keyboardist volume advice

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Keyboardist volume advice

Postby Peter H » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:33 am

Excellent thread! In particular, Dave and Eddy have made really great points. I agree completely about the difficulty of live keyboard self-monitoring on gigs with heavy guitars - organ-like sounds so completely different from the transients produced by guitar strings! I try always to use my own monitor even if big PA system provided, then heavily tweak my eq so I can hear myself properly even if my monitor sound is unrealistic, or get to know the engineer for similar (i.e. it’s not just about volume). I would be wary of any solution not fully involving the keyboard player (volume 105 will soon become 127 again:)
Peter H
Poster
Peter Houtman

Postby Dave B » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:46 am

ReedySteadyGo wrote:And record the session so he can hear how the volume of the keys is changing.

Good suggestion with one qualification : record the sound in the room, don't take a split to a separate recorder from a desk. You need to understand how all the various sounds fit together in an overall mix and anything taken direct from the desk will confuse things more. Put a couple of mics / small recorder at one end of your rehearsal space, ideally as far back as practical. It will capture the sound that the audience hears - and that's what we are aiming to get right.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:18 am

Dave B wrote:
ReedySteadyGo wrote:And record the session so he can hear how the volume of the keys is changing.

Good suggestion with one qualification : record the sound in the room, don't take a split to a separate recorder from a desk. You need to understand how all the various sounds fit together in an overall mix and anything taken direct from the desk will confuse things more. Put a couple of mics / small recorder at one end of your rehearsal space, ideally as far back as practical. It will capture the sound that the audience hears - and that's what we are aiming to get right.

:thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Janneman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Set the keyboard on a 1/2 the output, put some gaffa tape over the slider, split the output signal to FoH and a smallmixer. So the keyboard can use the mixer to control his own volume and without upsetting the FOH guy,
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Wonks » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:24 pm

On the few occasions when i was mixing, Dave B's keyboard levels were always there or thereabouts, really only needing pushing up slightly for solos. The only time I did anything major was in Van Halens' 'Jump', where I really upped the bass-end and the overall keyboard level considerably.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Previous