You are here

Using Honda EU3000is inverter to run PA Speakers subwoofers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Using Honda EU3000is inverter to run PA Speakers subwoofers

Postby Soham Patil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi all: please guide me -

I am planning to run a the below setup for a office party
Two QSC K12 Speakers
Two QSC K181 Subwoofers
(...All rented from Guitar Center)

I am planning to run the above by directly plugging them into a Honda EU3000is inverter generator (rented from Home depot).

Will i be able to run the PA system successfully and most inportantly SAFELY? For both the speakers and the inverter...

The event is tomorrow. Thank you for helping me!
Soham Patil

Re: Using Honda EU3000is inverter to run PA Speakers subwoofers

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:50 pm

You need to ask the hire shop WRT generator safety, use RCCDs for sure, and comply with any local H&S regs. If you are asking my advice would be to hire a qualified sparky to check the safety of the installation, especially if others apart from yourself will be playing using the gear.

WRT to power requirements, I regularly us a Kippor clone of an EU2000 to drive a similar (slightly larger) rig comprising of 2 x K12s, 1 x EV sBa750 sub, 3 x DXR10s plus backline with no issues, run time is around 3 hours and it's all my own kit.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:57 pm

:thumbup: to everything Sam's said.

Whenever I use a generator one of my priorities is to ensure there's a decent earth/ground connection. Usually achieved by having a hefty cable from the earth/ground terminal on the generator fastened to a large metal spike firmly bashed into the ground. If the ground is at all dry then a bucket of water thrown around the point where the spike enters the soil is usually a wise precaution. And make sure all the kit has proper mains earths/grounds - especially if it's been hired - and that no-one has 'helpfully' (not) disconnected any of them.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:39 pm

Just to add, since I've passed the edit window,
Sam Spoons wrote:If you are asking my advice would be to hire a qualified sparky to check the safety of the installation
would be clearer as "If you need to ask the question my advice would be.....". You may just be asking for reassurance WRT power requirements but if you are at all unsure about the electrical safety aspects, hire a pro.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:57 pm

I believe most Honda EU-model generators are configured with what is known as a floating neutral -- meaning that the neutral is not bonded to the earth as it would be in a static mains wiring in a building's mains supply.

So, in the intended application there is a strong argument for providing a solid earth reference to the generator chassis (and extended to other equipment via the mains connector from the generator) to protect any users coming into contact with exposed metalwork in case of a double-fault condition.

However, be aware that without an earth-neutral connection at the generator RCDs may not work correctly -- they may not provide the expected protection and they may trip erroneously. So, if using a floating-neutral generator, DO provide a ground spike at the generator, but DON'T use RCDs (GFCIs in America).

If you want to use RCDs, then you must have an earth-neutral bonded system... but I don't think there is any provision in the Honda EU-model generators to provide earth-neutral bonding.

I have seen an external solution provided in some installations in the form of a separate mains isolating transformer connected between the generator and the rest of the power distribution. The isolating transformer's secondary is always wired, as standard, with an earth-neutral bond so that RCDs will work reliably as intended.

But a big mains isolating transformer capable of handling a lot of continuous power isn't cheap... Should be hire-able though.

As Mike says, if in any doubt, contact a qualified electrician.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:29 pm

As the OP is hiring from Guitar Center and Home Depot, I'd assume he is in the USA.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:35 pm

The unit has a ground connection on the chassis, but may not be supplied with a suitable ground spike. You'll need to ask Home Depot about grounding it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby pk.roberts » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:25 pm

I realise the OP is not in the UK, however this document provides a good explanation of various setups and potential hazards.
https://electrical.theiet.org/media/155 ... rators.pdf
pk.roberts
Poster