You are here

Remote control strobe light

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Remote control strobe light

Postby gsc1ugs » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm

I know its sound forum but someone may know answer, are strobe lights banned?

If not, does anyone know a good powerful one that’s triggered with remote. Thank you
gsc1ugs
Regular

Re: Remote control strobe light

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:47 pm

The use of strobe lighting is not banned in the UK, but they do present a danger to some susceptible people, and there are specific guidelines that you should follow if you plan to use strobes in your act. The BBC Risk Assessment advice us as good as any in this respect:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/safety/resources/ ... hting.html

The most important points, I think, are:
    Minimise the risk of inducing photosensitive epileptic seizures by:

Keeping the flash rate at/or below 4 flashes per second

All staff, crew and freelancers must be warned prior to the use of stroboscopic lights that they are to be included in the programme/event. And any who are concerned about being present during the use of these effects must be allowed to absent themselves from the area whilst they are in use.

Audiences must be informed, in advance, of the use of strobe lighting and reminded before the start of the show.

Warnings should be posted at the venue entrance doors “WARNING: Strobe lights are used during this performance”

Where more than one strobe light is used, the flashes must be synchronised.

Keep light intensity as low as practical.

Maximise distance between lighting source and those present – mount the strobe lights as high above head height as possible.

Where possible, the lights should be bounced off walls and ceilings or diffused by other means so that glare is reduced.

Continuous operation of strobe lighting for long periods should be avoided.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:32 am

Know any that are controllable like the above?
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:31 am

Just about all strobes (apparat from very tiny ones for bedrooms etc) are remotely controllable. Some with their own controller, but most these days will be DMX controlled.

IIRC, you don't have a DMX controller, so you'll probably need to get one - there are low cost ones that are designed just for strobes.

I've got this set, which was given to me as part payment of a debt when a local Am-dram company folded. Probably only used it twice in three years - not really the right thing for folk groups! Seems quite good to me, but I know they were not fantastically impressed by the brightness for a lightning effect. https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_1_strobe_1500_dmx_power_bundle.htm
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am

I dont want use dmx, i do have one but dont want use a laptop, i use dmx for my lights but the master is just working off sound to light, its ok it will do. Need one so i trigger it with remote
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:01 am

gsc1ugs wrote:I dont want use dmx, i do have one but dont want use a laptop, i use dmx for my lights but the master is just working off sound to light, its ok it will do. Need one so i trigger it with remote

You don't need a laptop for DMX. You can use a DMX controller. They start from about £30:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dmx_control_desks.html?oa=pra

As for strobes:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stroboscope.html?oa=pra 44 to choose from.

Sorted!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am

Did you look at the link I posted?

Strobe, remote control and a cable in one bundle. Happens to use DMX for the remote, but not really any different in setup than an old school analogue one (if you can still find one).
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:43 pm

I'm solo artist tribute, cant use anything that size i was thinking more of a hand held device to trigger it
gsc1ugs
Regular