You are here

Quick mp3 question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Quick mp3 question

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:45 pm

ben howes wrote:Aeroplane mode might help.

I always switch to aeroplane mode, madness if you dont... HA! MADNESS
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:31 pm

ben howes wrote:Codecs aside..
I'd recommend a dedicated player rather than a phone.
phone notification bleeps arriving over the PA is very naff. I've also experienced that syncopated rhythm of the cellular radio spilling out of the audio jack.
Aeroplane mode might help.
I also find the 3.5mm socket on many phones is not reliable from an electrical connection.
Agreed on all of the above.

The old iPod Classic is great, though discontinued.

Another good option is an Android tablet (cheap is fine). A lot of Android software is targetted at playing streamed/library music. I've found doubleTwist to be a great player, happy with content on SD card, and deals with compilation albums much better than many. I also use Rocket Player for live use - not nearly as nice as doubleTwist, but has a "single shot" mode where it stops after the played track - this is a hard to find feature.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Virtually all of the parish-pump gigs I do now require playout of some sort...

I thought I'd be clever/save clutter etc. by switching to Tablets for playout. Bad idea... Russian Roulette Reliability... I've now gone back to a laptop playing out via USB and an external interface. Hasn't given me a moment's anxiety...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 am

Mike Stranks wrote:I've now gone back to a laptop playing out via USB and an external interface. Hasn't given me a moment's anxiety...
You mean an Apple? I cant afford £2k fir laptop but im looking at that in the future running programmed lights using dmx
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:21 am

gsc1ugs wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:I've now gone back to a laptop playing out via USB and an external interface. Hasn't given me a moment's anxiety...
You mean an Apple? I cant afford £2k fir laptop but im looking at that in the future running programmed lights using dmx

No.

I mean a second-hand Windows laptop with a 12" screen that cost me less than £100 from a dealer. The new interface cost less than £30.

And we've mentioned before - several times - that you don't need a computer to run DMX. We've pointed you at sites that stock a significant range of controllers.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:32 am

I cant use controllers, hands free, need automation, its just lonely me.

As far as players go, backtrax is awesome
http://backtraxapp.com/
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:48 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:
ben howes wrote:Aeroplane mode might help.

I always switch to aeroplane mode, madness if you dont... HA! MADNESS

You know that caps on a forum is "Bad Manners" :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave B » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 am

Mike Stranks wrote:I thought I'd be clever/save clutter etc. by switching to Tablets for playout. Bad idea... Russian Roulette Reliability...

Mike, I think I have an old iPod nano knocking about spare if you want one. No moving parts and seems fairly robust - scream if you want it
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 am

Dave B wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:I thought I'd be clever/save clutter etc. by switching to Tablets for playout. Bad idea... Russian Roulette Reliability...

Mike, I think I have an old iPod nano knocking about spare if you want one. No moving parts and seems fairly robust - scream if you want it

You're a gent! :clap: :thumbup:

Since switching to the laptop/interface I'm well-suited thanks. Proper keyboard, decent screen, not much bigger than a 10.5 tablet, tried and trusted software. Happy bunny! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous