You are here

creating an instrument and iem cable

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

creating an instrument and iem cable

Postby thyephiany » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi guys
hoping you can help
i have been looking at iem solutions and have decided to go the wired route. I have got a behringer p2 but now looking at creating a single cable to go with it.
I have thought about using 2 way multicore but google said no so thought about getting two separate cables and braiding them.
If I was to braid them, how would i go about doing it? to I twist the cables and braid, lay them side to side? what size braid to use? what do other people do? is there a better solution?
thyephiany

Re: creating an instrument and iem cable

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:27 pm

I'm assuming the instrument is an electric guitar? If so some decent 'stereo' unbalanced twin cable would work fine, just need it to have separate screens (i.e. not twin cored mic cable with an overall screen, proper 'individually shielded' multicore would also be fine). But, I have on one occasion, when I made a guitar cable out of cheap mic cable, found it to be 'microphonic' .
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: creating an instrument and iem cable

Postby MOF » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:36 pm

A cable with one screen and two cores or two cores individually screened will be fine. You are unlikely to have ‘microphonic’ issues because you’re dealing with higher voltages than a guitar or mic’.
MOF
Regular