You are here

Sennheiser EK 2000 Radio mic AF OUT Problem

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Sennheiser EK 2000 Radio mic AF OUT Problem

Postby Noloka » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Good morning,
I request your help as I encounter a weird problem with one of my EK2000.
I have some sets (EK, SK and SKP) and one of my EK is giving a really low sound. Just to be sure, I checked every cable, every connection and every setting I don’t understand where the problem is.
All of my different sets have the same settings (AF OUT -6dB), but for this EK I need to put the AF OUT to +12dB before hearing something.
Does someone have an idea?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Noloka

Re: Sennheiser EK 2000 Radio mic AF OUT Problem

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:49 pm

First things first! Have you tried running the receiver into a different channel on your desk, just to rule out a different gain setting or input sensitivity in the desk channel compared to the others?

If that's okay, have you tried re-tuning the receiver to a different transmitter, just to rule out a sensitivity problem with the transmitter it is currently synchronised with?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby AlecSp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Yes, some elementary fault finding first. Especially if you've got two identical EK systems.

Swap the mic frequencies over and check if the problem follows the transmitter or the receiver.

Swap the mic and receiver frequencies over, to confirm whether it's the frequency band that's causing an issue (unlikely, but worth ruling out.

Swap the input channels on the desk, just to rule out an odd channel configuration or fault.

Swap the XLR cables to rule out cable faults.

The, at least, you'll be sure which component is giving you problems.

All of this *should* enable you to confirm which piece of equipment appears at fault. At this point, you need to recheck the configuration again. If everything matches working kit, then it may well be a fault.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 am

Good advice here...

... and stating the blindingly obvious... when testing make sure all your other systems are switched off and there's no-one else nearby also running a radio mic or in-ear system.

I once spent an anxious ten minutes trying to track down a fault only to discover that someone about 50m away was on the same frequency...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster