You are here

general DI question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

general DI question

Postby Jdubs2020 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:10 am

Simple enough and I’m sure this is a dumb question, but I’d like to ask. On a basic passive DI, can the thru/out be used with the main in to combine 2:1?

Thank you!
Jdubs2020
New here

Re: general DI question

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:50 am

Strictly speaking, no.

However, In practice I'm sure people do and get away with it... But the two sockets are wired directly in parallel which means that if you plug in two output sources, one output driver will be trying to force current into the other output driver. That might just result in distortion, but it could potentially destroy one or both output drivers!

So it's really not recommended practice.

Some DI boxes -- notably many of the Radial ones -- have a 'merge' button that does exactly what you want: it allows the link socket to bemused as another input, and the two signals are passively mixed together in the proper way, via mix resistors which also protect the source drivers.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/jdi/features

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:11 am

I have a vague memory of doing this with a little Whirlwind Imp DI to send two guitars down one channel. Each guitar went through a Boss GE-7 graphic pedal and then the two pedals were plugged into the DI.

It wasn't ideal, Both pedals had the gain fader quite high so the guitar was quiet when the pedal was off and didn't interfere with the one being played.

Not elegant but did the job while channels were few and money was tight.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby Jdubs2020 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:17 pm

I have a whirlwind imp that’s doing the same thing. I didn’t think it’d work but, there it is.
I’ve got a Roland SPD-SX drum pad. It has main stereo outs and subouts which obviously can be used mono. I’ve routed my backing tracks to the subouts and the pads/triggers are routed to the main outs. This works great sending two signals to FOH so they control both faders. But my monitor system has limited channels and I don’t mind them being on one input for in ears.

I’ll likely just get the radial to combine and do it right. I don’t wanna fry anything in that Roland.
Jdubs2020
New here

Postby Jdubs2020 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Strictly speaking, no.

However, In practice I'm sure people do and get away with it... But the two sockets are wired directly in parallel which means that if you plug in two output sources, one output driver will be trying to force current into the other output driver. That might just result in distortion, but it could potentially destroy one or both output drivers!

So it's really not recommended practice.

Some DI boxes -- notably many of the Radial ones -- have a 'merge' button that does exactly what you want: it allows the link socket to bemused as another input, and the two signals are passively mixed together in the proper way, via mix resistors which also protect the source drivers.

https://www.radialeng.com/product/jdi/features

H

What about the radial stagebug SB-2? It’s a lot cheaper and appears to do the same thing.
Jdubs2020
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Jdubs2020 wrote:What about the radial stagebug SB-2? It’s a lot cheaper and appears to do the same thing.

Yes, absolutely.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Jdubs2020 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Ordered it. Thanks to everyone. Great help!!
Jdubs2020
New here